Lr defender 2001 crank but not start

Hi all,

I’m new to the world of Land Rover, and i buy a old defender of 2001. The car crank but not start.

It happen to the last owner as it stop to the supermarket and after not restart.

Fuel pump on the gaz tank have been changed.

Filter is new

Older owner try to swap the écu without success.

Glow spark are new

Pressure pump is new

The écu have no error on last diag.

Do you have any ideas to solve this.

I saw that there is problems with crankshaft position sensor default and injector seal. Do you think that it can be the probleme?

A LR technician tell us that it can be fault negative or ground issue.

Thanks for those who will take the time to help me.

Regards

47 minutes ago, Rick Upart said:

I saw that there is problems with crankshaft position sensor default and injector seal. Do you think that it can be the probleme?

A LR technician tell us that it can be fault negative or ground issue.

id suggest changing the starter motor itself as they can cause EMF interferance with the crank signal,

I have no experience with Td5 engines so I can't offer any detailed trouble shooting with ECU and sensor faults. I can however suggest you tackle the simple issues first by trying what the LR technician told you before you move on to other things.

• Make sure your battery is in a good state of charge.
  • Check the terminal connections to the battery are clean and secure.
  • Take a thick jump lead and connect it to somewhere on the engine block near the starter motor and the other end directly to the negative battery terminal. If your issue is a broken earth - this will bypass the earth. If your engine now cranks over with the jump lead in place you need to find the broken earth strap and replace it.
  • If these simple checks don't work, someone will be along with Td5 experience

3 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

id suggest changing the starter motor itself as they can cause EMF interferance with the crank signal,

My car crank but don’t start, you think that starter motor can still be faulty even if it crank correctly?

3 hours ago, monkie said:

I have no experience with Td5 engines so I can't offer any detailed trouble shooting with ECU and sensor faults. I can however suggest you tackle the simple issues first by trying what the LR technician told you before you move on to other things.

• Make sure your battery is in a good state of charge.
  • Check the terminal connections to the battery are clean and secure.
  • Take a thick jump lead and connect it to somewhere on the engine block near the starter motor and the other end directly to the negative battery terminal. If your issue is a broken earth - this will bypass the earth. If your engine now cranks over with the jump lead in place you need to find the broken earth strap and replace it.
  • If these simple checks don't work, someone will be along with Td5 experience

Will check that. Thanks

2 hours ago, Rick Upart said:

My car crank but don’t start, you think that starter motor can still be faulty even if it crank correctly?

yes,

when the starter breaks down internally it causes elecro magnetic interferance (EMF), ive had it on my own defender plus several others on customers, if you can get it plugged in the fault code for noisy crank signal is the indication that the starter is causing interferance 

9 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

yes,

when the starter breaks down internally it causes elecro magnetic interferance (EMF), ive had it on my own defender plus several others on customers, if you can get it plugged in the fault code for noisy crank signal is the indication that the starter is causing interferance 

Ok noted thanks. The only way to test that is to change the starter? Or can i push the car to test it first?

I'd suggest holding off on something as expensive as a starter when the single point of failure for this is the crank position sensor that tells the ECU the engine is actually turning - without that, it can never start as it does not know when to inject any fuel.

On 6/29/2021 at 1:01 AM, Rick Upart said:

Ok noted thanks. The only way to test that is to change the starter? Or can i push the car to test it first?

Yes, you can try to bump start the car, that will take the starter out of the loop so it can't cause interference. But if it doesn't start easily when towed, it could still be the injector seals. Sometimes at higher rpm the leaks can be overcome.

Also worth checking the red plug to the ECU under the seat for oil contamination coming from the injector harness.

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd suggest holding off on something as expensive as a starter when the single point of failure for this is the crank position sensor that tells the ECU the engine is actually turning - without that, it can never start as it does not know when to inject any fuel.

It’s the other way round I believe fridge. It’s an issue with an ageing starter that stuffs the signal. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

It’s the other way round I believe fridge. It’s an issue with an ageing starter that stuffs the signal. 

Yeah I did read the post, but even a cheap starter is the thick end of £100 while a crank sensor is more around the £5 - £20 mark, and even if it's not the problem it doesn't hurt to carry a small cheap part that is a single point of failure.

9 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Yeah I did read the post, but even a cheap starter is the thick end of £100 while a crank sensor is more around the £5 - £20 mark, and even if it's not the problem it doesn't hurt to carry a small cheap part that is a single point of failure.

in all the time ive worked on TD5s, the Crank sensor is a much rarer failure point than the common issue with the starter motors,

• Like 1