Heated rear window

Now my 90 is back on the road I am starting to get the things working that didnt work when I bought it . My next task is the heated rear window !. When you switch it on the oil warning light comes on as well as the rear window light. I have tried the modification to the voltage sensing relay as suplied by White 90 sometime back , I only did this to try and see iff it made a difernce. I am shure I have an earth fault, any clues would shorten the agro of this little problem.

Now my 90 is back on the road I am starting to get the things working that didnt work when I bought it . My next task is the heated rear window !. When you switch it on the oil warning light comes on as well as the rear window light. I have tried the modification to the voltage sensing relay as suplied by White 90 sometime back , I only did this to try and see iff it made a difernce. I am shure I have an earth fault, any clues would shorten the agro of this little problem.

With a voltmeter, measure which connector on the element is at +12v. Run a temporary new wire from THE OTHER terminal back to battery negative. If this cures the problem its an earth fault at the rear door end. IIRC Land Rover just earthed the element to the door frame, which is not only a cr*p arrangement but will aslo make the ally/steel corrosion even worse.

If this temp fix works, then make a permanent earth connection from the element either

i) to rear body via loop of wire across from door.

ii) to earth on rear lights via brake/indicator earth

iii) back to battery negative

iii) is best option

If this doesn't cure it fault is at switch, VSR end. I persume the VSR need an earth connection to measure volts???

• 10 months later...

item 1 above lives on the cab side of the bulkhead behind the 3 switch panel [right of steering wheel] it's a largish yellow relay, also move the instrument pack towards the steering wheel to assist access/vision into the right forward corner, the rear heated screen relay sits next to it.

Guest diesel_jim
You can do away with the voltage sensing relay if it's faulty, there's a "how to" in the tech archive.

HTH

Mo

IIRC they were only fitted to vehicles with a small alternator, about 55amps i think., later vehicles with the "big" 70a didnt have them.

my original 200Tdi 90 had one, when i upgraded the alternator, i just unplugged the voltage relay, and with a small length of beefy wire (with a male spade crimped onto each end) joined the two main power cables in the socket together, thus leaving the rear window under my control.