Advice required..... DVLA again...

I'm thinking of dropping a V8 3.9 EFi into the 110.

Currently has a 3.5 as per V5 document. Engine serial different on V5 due to change a while back.

If I go ahead with this change, what should I do with DVLA and Insurance ? I've already searched threads on here and most seem to cover chassis mods and hybrid discussions but I've not spotted anything on engine change... (I may have missed it Iwill say.)

Now that we have covered what I ought to do.....

What do you recommend?

If you had a "friend" in this situation, what did they do ! ;)

(Just in case you think you may incriminate yourself...)

Thanks in advance....

I changed my 90 from 3.5 to 4.2. Just filled in the bits on the V5 that needed changing (capacity and engine number) and set it off to DVLA, new V5 arrived with new details on. Told the insurance what the capacity was when I insured it. No problems with either.

It's a LR engine in a LR so most insurance don't care as long as you tell them, DVLA probably won't care as long as you tell them the new engine number as they are out to catch naughty people not honest ones.

If they start asking too much about the fitting process then you may have to down-play any chassis mods that may occur as you may find yourself on the end of an SVA or VIC. VIC isn't so bad but SVA would be a PITFA. I think that's enough (E)TLA's for one post :huh:

Edited to add: I have done two engine/box swaps and both times had no trouble.

One was a Golf that went from 1.1 to 1.6 engine & box, other was the 3.9V8 into the 109. Next update will be 4.6 & R380 & LT230 into the 109 which will be a bit more interesting...

just send DVLA the updated V5.

insurance wise NFU have never been too concerned with engine changes when i have done them, as it just changes to vehicle from a 90/110 to a defender as far as they are concerned for a tdi lump change. needed an eng report once which was £20 for the local place.

I'm thinking of dropping a V8 3.9 EFi into the 110.

Currently has a 3.5 as per V5 document. Engine serial different on V5 due to change a while back.

If I go ahead with this change, what should I do with DVLA and Insurance ? I've already searched threads on here and most seem to cover chassis mods and hybrid discussions but I've not spotted anything on engine change... (I may have missed it Iwill say.)

Now that we have covered what I ought to do.....

What do you recommend?

If you had a "friend" in this situation, what did they do ! ;)

(Just in case you think you may incriminate yourself...)

Thanks in advance....

Just complete & send to DVLA the amended V5 'New' engines serial number & capacity in cc's fuel type will be the same & tell insurers about the differnt engine size, they don't need to know it's serial number. thats all I did when the 200TDi was fitted.

Both times the Mazda 35SLT was fitted to my RR then 127" just the relevant changes were entered onto the V5 and returned to DVLA.

A new V5 was received shortly afterwards - no fuss.

They weren't interested where the engine came from - it was just a different size (smaller), with a new engine number, runnning on a different fuel...