Petrol Pump

GeorgetheLandy

Hello again to all and thanks again to everyone’s help so far.  Today’s question is about my petrol pump, or maybe not depending on replies and deductions.

My 1964 Series IIA has so far and normally started on the first or second depression unless she’s sat for a while and then I use the cold start and a few more attempts.  Lately though she only seems to be starting on maybe one or two of the cylinders and is very weak at the start and then when the othe cylinders kick in she runs smoothly.  Does anyone know why this is?  Is it the fuel pump not supplying enough fuel or is it one or more of the spark plugs not working?   Also at the moment the exhaust is half off due to the dodgy welders sawing it in two to access welding areas, (don’t ask and yes I was not happy and words colourful in nature were used strategically).  So I wondered if that might effect firing of the cylinders.  

I will do my best to read up and diagnose what’s wrong but any thoughts welcome as always and thanks for letting me part of this great community.  Stay safe and look forward to hearing from you all.

Sincerely

G

Assuming it's a standard  engine, then the pistons suck petrol into the chambers from the carb. All the fuel pump does is bring petrol to the carb.

I'd go through everything in turn. Are the plugs good? Do they spark? Are the valve gaps right? Is the spark timing right for modern petrol?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve b said:

That description could equally apply to flooding or over-rich when cranking as well as your question of  low fuel delivery , bad plug leads and/or plugs , condenser failing  could also be area's to check 

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I’m fitting new plugs today, it has new leads so that rules those out.  Don’t think it’s flooding so will check the condenser too.

Thanks

G

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

Assuming it's a standard  engine, then the pistons suck petrol into the chambers from the carb. All the fuel pump does is bring petrol to the carb.

I'd go through everything in turn. Are the plugs good? Do they spark? Are the valve gaps right? Is the spark timing right for modern petrol?

Thanks, checking plugs today.  The timing seems okay but it may also be worth checking as It’s not been checked since I have it.  
G