Pin to pin rear shocks for a 110 hard top?

Filbee

Hi folks,

I tried a search but couldn't see that this has been covered...

It's time to replace the shocks on my 110 hard top TD5, and I'd like to switch to pin to pin rear shocks using Gwyn Lewis rear upper mounts. However, I'm not sure I want or need to shell out on the OME shocks he sells when I could get some nice Bilstein B6 shocks for quite a bit less.

Does anyone know which Bilsteins I can use on the rear? Is it just a case of using a set of front shocks on the back, or will the valving be wrong?

My 110 is an ex-utilities hard top on the original springs. I've got two seats in the back and she does tow a 2.7t trailer from time to time. I would estimate she spends 70% on road and 30% on fields.

Any advice will be gratefully received!

• 1 month later...

All done!

Just need to go for a test drive now to see if the ride is improved 😊

The worst bit when fitting was having to remove the little cups the OE bushes sit in on the rear axle. The instructions say to drill out the spot welds and use a chisel to pop them off. I'm no stranger to drilling out spot welds, but try finding them when they are tiny and have been hidden by 15 years of rust!

I ended up smashing them off with my spot weld chisel and grinding off any bits of metal that were left welded to the axle. Bit of a paying but all done now 👍

IMG_20211031_131045493.jpg

IMG_20211031_171157439.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/28/2021 at 10:26 PM, western said:

OME are good kit, you won't be disappointed 

You weren't wrong!

I was pleasantly surprised at the difference the OME shocks made to the ride. This evening went for a test drive along a stretch of badly surfaced road near me (there's plenty to chose from on the South Shropshire/North Herefordshire border!) and the ride is much less crashy over ridges, dips and potholes, and she seems to hold a line better.

The new shocks make the OE ones I took off seem like they had ball bearings as a damping medium...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really need to go for a passenger ride in a decent shock'd Defender...

My heart is telling me to go for a nice set of Bilstein B6's but can the ride really be that much better on a car where the last thing ever considered is ride quality!!

24 minutes ago, tommobot said:

but can the ride really be that much better on a car where the last thing ever considered is ride quality!!

Well yes it can, but don't expect a Range Rover ! ;) I changed from standard shocks to Fox Performance shocks and the difference surely is noticeable! Much smoother ride.

But it's hard to make the decision on what brand, I saw a lot of positive reviews on the Fox shocks and a friendly garage was also over the moon about them and installs them standard on all Defenders so went for those and can't complain. I saw some less positive reviews on the Bilsteins though .. OME seems to be getting positive reviews also, example this thread, but never had the change to test hem.