Installing a second fuel gauge

tuko

I bought an Allisport fuel tank for my coil sprung series 3 which I will be installing under the passenger seat, effectively doubling our fuel load. I've been thinking how can I easily keep an eye on the fuel levels in that tank? I have an extra series fuel gauge that I'm thinking could be used in the unused spot where the water temp was at on the dash. The gauge will fit but it would be upside down, would that affect it's operation?  

s3-fuelgauge.jpg.6d9a03d308a4df3ce0fefaf1e8601b2a.jpg

Above image stolen from the interweb 😉 but it's the gauge that I have and thinking that it could be sitting next the original fuel gauge so that I have two fuel readings from both tanks at the same time in the dash. Would this gauge work on the left, basically with E being upwards? 

Todd. 

Put the gauge up side down for a while and see what the indicator does..

Will give you an indication..

Or, alternatively, use one gauge for the 2 tanks with a switch...

• Thanks 1

The brass LR fuel tap used on MoD Series LRs and fitted as part of the “optional equipment” second tank has switches that automatically connect the feeding tank to the gauge.  The switches are expensive, but you can use brake light switches instead, and they’re cheap.

14 hours ago, Snagger said:

The brass LR fuel tap used on MoD Series LRs and fitted as part of the “optional equipment” second tank has switches that automatically connect the feeding tank to the gauge.  The switches are expensive, but you can use brake light switches instead, and they’re cheap.

Nick, is this something that's on your homepage? I'd like to read more about this alternative switching as I knew the original route was out of the question because or difficulty of finding the parts and cost.

Todd.

22 hours ago, Snagger said:

I guess a person could get away with a marine brass 3 way fuel valve which are readily available plus 2 brake light switches or a 2 way toggle switch for fuel tanks levels can be read on one gauge. 

My plan at first was to mount a small pump between the tanks which I'd pump from the pass tank to the driver's tank. Also using 2 fuel gauges so that I can see their levels at the same time.

It looks like that maybe LR's original design might be best. 

The beauty of the simpler LR design is that if a tank is holed or contaminated, it is simply isolated by selecting the other tank.  If you pump from the auxiliary tank into the main, any hole or contamination of the main will continue to be a problem.  A switchable feed for separate tanks also allows different fuels in each tank, like diesel in one and vegoil in the other for running once the engine is warm (with a heat exchanger to heat the fuel before passing through the filter).  It also allows you to choose weight distribution for when the vehicle is going to be loaded asymmetrically.  There are quite a few reasons that it is an advantage.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 4:19 PM, tuko said:

Nick, is this something that's on your homepage? I'd like to read more about this alternative switching as I knew the original route was out of the question because or difficulty of finding the parts and cost.

Todd.

The taps I used are LR gen parts through and through, though mine are the slightly more complex  version in that being for diesel models, they have an added return line valve with a link to a cam arm on the tap so file so the feed and return valves operate together.  Petrol versions don’t have return lines, so lack the smaller valve, it’s mounting on the cradle and the connecting link and tap spindle arm.  I complicated it further by having two of those combined units so one of them selects left or right tank under the front seats, and the output of that feeds the second selector unit to choose between front and rear tanks, so I can select which of three tanks I’m feeding from and returning to.

http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/fuel-taps-2/

https://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/front-tank-installation/

• Like 1