Led headlight recommendations

slihp

On 1/2/2022 at 8:52 AM, Snagger said:

It seems Germany has approved specific retrofit Philips LED “bulbs” for headlights, as per this article: https://lumileds.com/and-now-the-first-road-legal-h4-led-headlight-bulb-for-retrofitting-halogen/

Hopefully, if they are E marked, the rest of the EU and the UK will automatically approve them.

Looks like they'll be around €120 for a set of H7s. Double the price of Nightbreakers, but might be worth it, especially to pop in the highbeams.

And I have a feeling they're only approved for projectors, not reflectors.

Edited by elbekko

No, I mean these: https://gomechanic.in/blog/projector-vs-reflector-headlight/

Reflectors as most old LRs have aren't really suited for high output bulbs.

Philips has a compatible model checker on their site, and from that I get the feeling they're only approved for vehicles with projectors (which would make sense).

Edited by elbekko
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 10:08 PM, Bowie69 said:

Driving almost exclusively rural roads I wish all these automatic and LED headlamps would just die.

They do not work properly, dip too late, and have horrible point lights that cause dazzling even when 'dipped', and are so bright once you pass them you are blind for a few seconds.

Oh, and from behind they never seem to dip unless they are right on top of you.

</rant>

Driving a lot of the same roads as you, I also find this a problem. Spending a lot of time driving the main trunk road system at night, has also become a problem. I've found that I have developed a nervous reaction to delayed dip or overbright LED's, which causes my left index finger to spasm and switch the main beam back on. The enourmous reflected glare form my Chapter 8 markings on the whole of the rear of the vehicle seem to put off many driver trying to sneak up behind.whislt attempting to make up for tiny reproductive equipement with overbright lighting

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Currently toddling around in 1954 moggy traveller, so no real option available to me to blind people notify the other car their headlamps are terrible.

My mate Rory has a set of 10" Led spots on his Moggy. Very impressive 

As most of you know I no longer drive a car but a mobility scooter. Please Mr BMW make your healights so that they do not blind me. As a matter of interest why don't the Bmw dealers set the headlights so that the car can pass the MOT at the first MOT