P38 4.6 gearbox swap with pre 1999

Raz

Hey guys

so I own a p38 4.6 thor year model 2000 

,and needed to replace gearbox ,so I bought a pre 1999 4.6 gearbox and notice that there is difference between them.

What am I doing?

thre is any way to fit it?

is the bigger torque converter is bather then the medium one ?

thank you all 

B9937131-C675-4D0E-9A8F-82DA32147402.jpeg

441FA339-0F4F-41EA-B654-285AFDCCC0C0.jpeg

The main difference is the torque converter. Bigger is of course better, but there is no indication the smaller one on later vehicles is not up to the job. Either reuse your old one, or fit the bigger one from the replacement box. In the latter case you have to make sure you use the correct (thinner) spacer on the flexplate so the total distance between flywheel and gearbox remains the same.

The later gearboxes also have a different controller, with a CANbus link to the BeCM. As far as I know the boxes themselves are interchangeable, just controlled in a different way. I'm usually not a fan of modern technology but have to admit the updated gearbox control combined with the increased low down torque of the Bosch injected V8 makes for a nicer drive (especially at low throttle) than the pre 99 ones.

Filip

ZF22 is both a weaker box than ZF24 and cable operated

ZF24 is a stronger box, and ECU CANBUS controlled.

Many peeps who want better reliability have ZF22 internals upgraded with ZF24 internals, ashcroft do this, unsure if winchester gears do ?

Forget trying to run a ZF24, you can via ashcrofts Auto shift convrsion kit, which allows use of then std ZF24 stronger box, but its not cheap !

Nige

Actually, both are cable operated to shift between PRND, with electronics controlling further shifts (in the P38, earlier ones having hydraulic controls). And both the ZF22 and ZF24 come either without (P38 before 99) or with CANbus (P38 from 99 on).

The ZF24 is of course stronger, but I have run a ZF22 with a 4.6 for many years/miles without problems. As have many others.

On 1/4/2022 at 8:48 PM, smallfry said:

could that be a fracture in the casting, between the makers plate and the cable bracket ?

Doesn't look good, .............some good info on this THREAD , particularly post #13 and #18 by Ashcrofts about the boxes, but the 061 isn'tt going to swap into the 065 slot without surgery. This other thread is about a diesel but illustrates the physical differences.

The larger TC will have a lower stall speed and enables you to make better use of torque at low revs, probably mainly noticeable if you do a fair bit of towing.