Bodywork question

In that case yes it’s normal and usually not anything to worry about until it gets worse.  However check for corrosion on the steel sections that make up the C pillar behind there, visible at the rear of the door aperture. Common place for rot and will fail an MOT as it is close to the seatbelt mount. 

I can hardly see that photo on my phone outside in the sun. I can see that @Retroanacondahas replied though 🙂

Just to add, that panel is aluminium and the C-post behind it, to which it is fastened with the rivets, is steel. So there’s an opportunity for the steel to rust and also for the aluminium to react with the steel and/or the rivets to do the same.

2 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

In that case yes it’s normal and usually not anything to worry about until it gets worse.  However check for corrosion on the steel sections that make up the C pillar behind there, visible at the rear of the door aperture. Common place for rot and will fail an MOT as it is close to the seatbelt mount. 

That’s really helpful advice, thank you. I’m having an independent inspection carried out on it just to be sure it’s all as it should be, as this will be my first defender and have a lot to learn!

7 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

I can hardly see that photo on my phone outside in the sun. I can see that @Retroanacondahas replied though 🙂

Just to add, that panel is aluminium and the C-post behind it, to which it is fastened with the rivets, is steel. So there’s an opportunity for the steel to rust and also for the aluminium to react with the steel and/or the rivets to do the same.

Ah, I see - thank you. Does the other side suggest any work has been done (particularly the carpet, has it been cut?)

image.thumb.png.5e46c75c15c46beaadb9a4d3e3b7fba7.png

That panel has been resprayed before; the diagonal rivets are fitted after painting in the factory, so would be bare if the panels were not repainted.  So, the corrosion has probably occurred before and been painted.  I’d remove the rivets and would clean the underside of the area as well as possible, let it dry and then spray in a load of decent wax like Dinitrol, depending on the state of the steel parts.  Hopefully, the staining is mild enough to polish off without repainting.  Make sure you get the wax between the steel and aluminium panel (a thin sheet of plastic may also be a good idea) and use aluminium, not steel rivets on reassembly.

My recommendation: Remove the panel and clean everything behind it. Re-install it well insulated as mentioned. Most important, however, is an inner mudguard at the rear, which prevents new dirt from being thrown into this place from the rear wheel.