Is there a job more hateful than...

Cchase

Make sure the hole is really clean of rust and burrs.  File the rim to make a slight bevel, and perhaps do the same on one end of the bush.  You could try heating the tube with a blow torch to expand it, but that does run the risk of the heat then passing through the outer sleeve of the bush and damaging the rubber.  Lubrication should help instead.

• Like 1

Can you put the bushes in the freezer for a few days or will it damage the rubber or warm up to quickly to be helpfull?

You have my sympathy as I did mine so long ago but I still dispise them! I have a spare set of LR ones in my spares box still wrapped in oiled paper and every time I see them I glare at them with hatred.

• Like 1

Spring clip on the gearbox main shaft?

The chassis bushes are a pain to do. Genuine bushes fit slightly better, and a hand reamer also helps.

• Like 1

Bushes in the freezer for a few days helps

If you think this is bad, wait until you've tried pushing them out / in after the chassis has been galvanized.....

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 10:28 AM, missingsid said:

Can you put the bushes in the freezer for a few days or will it damage the rubber or warm up to quickly to be helpfull?

You have my sympathy as I did mine so long ago but I still dispise them! I have a spare set of LR ones in my spares box still wrapped in oiled paper and every time I see them I glare at them with hatred.

I think that will not harm the bushes, but the frost that rapidly grows on them may make them harder to fit.  I had this with the bearings when building up my front diff over Christmas, but humidity is very high here.

I agree with the others in recommending genuine bushes.  Not only should their size be accurate, but their materials much better than pattern.  You don’t want to have to do this again soon because of cutting costs.  But persevere; I think PU bushes of reputable source may be OK in springs if necessary, but they are a bad idea in the chassis because a failed bush will allow the steel inner tube to grind the chassis bore and even a good bush allows some sand or grit into the bore eroding both PU and chassis, where the genuine bushes are tight enough to exclude any abrasive material and provide a fixed outer tube that protects the bore should the rubber fail.  It’s less of a worry on springs as they are relatively easily and cheaply replaced.

• Like 1