Oops - RTV sealant skin time!

Well I do some di*kish things and I have just added to the list! I have just fitted my diff to the axle case and forgot to leave the RTV sealant to skin for 15 minutes.  I made the sealant chain then within a couple of minutes placed the diff onto the case.

So, will this be an issue? I don't want to separate and clean it up for the sake of it, but also would rather sort it now if it is going to be an issue. 

Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated. 

Many thanks. 

Mick

Thanks folks. It says on the tube to leave for 15 minutes to skin over. Last time I used it I read the instructions first, but this time as I had used it before I just got on with it. As the diff was settling on the axle case, and as the RTV sqished out, I suddenly remembered about the wait time and thought ffs you t**t!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, western said:

No men read instructions, you must be the odd one out

Odd - I think you may be right there. 

As I haven't got a clue what I'm doing, reading these forums and YouTube are all I have!! I  am enjoying it mind, in a cursing, knuckle banging, masochistic kind of way!

• Like 1

RTV is essentially silicone sealant so it'll cure underwater (though you can wash it away if it rains on the job :ph34r:). The only difference between letting it skin and not is how hard it is to get apart next time and even that is barely any different.

Mike