V8 Flywheel

I am giving some thought to swapping out the 3.5 V8 in my 1999 Defender 110 with a 4.6 V8 from a 2003 Disco 2 which I know is available. One of the most obvious initial problems is that the Disco motor is from an automatic. Is it possible to swap the flywheel across from the 3.5?

Cheers,

Delwyn

43 minutes ago, Don Del said:

Gentlemen, many thanks for the replies! One less thing to worry about.

Delwyn

Not so fast. While it is true that ANY manual flywheel from any year Rover V8, car or 4X4 will physically fit the 4.6 engine, it depends if you are hoping to retain the original THOR (Bosch) engine management (assuming a Bolivian spec vehicle is fitted with it)

If so, you will need a manual flywheel from a Disco 2 4.0 (not 3.9) as this was the only other Land Rover vehicle fitted with this system AFAIK.

I have got one here, but it is a bit far away !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smallfry said:

Not so fast. While it is true that ANY manual flywheel from any year Rover V8, car or 4X4 will physically fit the 4.6 engine, it depends if you are hoping to retain the original THOR (Bosch) engine management (assuming a Bolivian spec vehicle is fitted with it)

If so, you will need a manual flywheel from a Disco 2 4.0 (not 3.9) as this was the only other Land Rover vehicle fitted with this system AFAIK.

I have got one here, but it is a bit far away !

Thanks for that! I had been toying with the idea of of installing a Megasquirt system which now no longer seems to be a "nice to have" but essential. Pity about your flywheel as well.

Cheers,

Delwyn

As mentioned the 3.5 flywheel will bolt up to the 4.6.  I have that on mine - however on the 4.6 the flywheel contains the moving component of the crankshaft sensor with the actual sensor bolted into the rear of the engine.  I have a trigger wheel on the front of the 4.6 which now acts as the crankshaft sensor - not sure if this is compatible with the thor system as I only use it for ignition.

Garry

• Like 1