Clutch fork problems

Hi, I have an old defender with an LT77 box in it and have just had it reconditioned and had new clutch in it along with master and slave cylinder. Have used it for a few days and now won't go into gear so I have pulled the slave off.

The fork seems to be pushed back into the box too far for the push rod to do anything and slave has no more room to push it..

There was originally about an inch or so of the push rod sticking out of the whole now it is all inside the box and the arm won't pull forward.. is this a gearbox out problem..

22 minutes ago, Ryanmcgin said:

Hi, I have an old defender with an LT77 box in it and have just had it reconditioned and had new clutch in it along with master and slave cylinder. Have used it for a few days and now won't go into gear so I have pulled the slave off.

The fork seems to be pushed back into the box too far for the push rod to do anything and slave has no more room to push it..

There was originally about an inch or so of the push rod sticking out of the whole now it is all inside the box and the arm won't pull forward.. is this a gearbox out problem..

Shine a torch in push rod may have pushed through pressed dimple in fork, quite a common problem, if this is the case then you will need to pull the box back to get at it I'm afraid regards Stephen

4 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

... and here's one I prepared earlier.

Mo

20190323_105007.thumb.jpg.c35d917aabc5f70a9b07dc2fb2680208.jpg

IMG-20190323-WA0016.thumb.jpg.511d14d01234a59094f97d2bd51bf4ed.jpg

I have one like that in my black museum of broken bits that have disrupted holidays; in this case Devon and Cornwall. The dead starter solenoid was France, (included a documented incident on the Channel Tunnel); and more broken lift pumps than you could shake a stick at!

My broken fork (like the one posted above) occurred whilst on my 90 was on the MOT ramp. This was not ideal, neither was it ideal that I had towed a trailer with my 88 Series 2a on to the MOT station which did not have a towbar itself so the two could not be swapped over. I was also due to go camping in said broken 90 the next day.

I rang around and managed to get hold of a clutch kit in Ipswich (where the MOT was), rang my dad to get him come to the MOT station in his 110 thinking I could tow the trailer and the broken 90 home on that, he could drive the Series. Unfortunately the Series then broke down on the way back from getting the clutch so I got him to divert and tow me to the garage.

Ended up putting the Series on the trailer as that wouldn't start, he towed that home with the 110 and I limped the 90 home with no clutch. This was at lunchtime by now on the Saturday. I got the 90 on the ramp, changed the clutch fork, got ready for camping and left at 7am the next day for a 100 mile round trip to Wales.

I am not sure why we do it to ourselves.....

• Like 1