Lower dash vents immovable - help my heater!

Hello, 

I'm on a mission to sort out my heater, first up is sorting the non functioning lower vents. 

Its an ex-military 90 and the lower vents appear jammed or stuck - they've been like this for years. I cannot adjust the lever on the dash to direct the heat to the windscreen vents & don't want to force it. I get reasonably good heat and airflow but I want to be able to direct it. 

I have found the diagram showing the arrangement but my questions are: do I need to remove the lower dash to get to them - presumably so - & if so does the dash top need to come out too? Once the lower dash is out are the heater flaps contained within it?

Has anyone got any photos of this? 

What might be causing the lower flaps to jam? 

If I reach in with my fingers I can't move the flaps either. 

Where do I start with this?!?

I'm not going to be with the car for another week but I want to get on with it once I'm home. 

Cheers, Paul

dash flaps.PNG

Edited by Northern Paul
spelling

It might be interesting to know if you can move the flaps by hand if the controls on the RHS of the dash are removed/disconnected, i.e. is the the controls jammed, cable or the vents themselves?

As others have stated, to get proper access, it's a top down removal.

Removing top down might also allow some view from the top, e.g. is something lodged in there?

Simon...

Edited by simonpelly
  • Like 1

I can move the flaps slightly with my fingers but certainly not much. 

Simon - good thinking to remove the cable from the right hand side controls and see if I can move the flaps then. 

I'll have a fiddle when I get home and go from there. 

If anyone has any photos as they have stripped a dash out that would be brilliant! 

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Northern Paul said:

I can move the flaps slightly with my fingers but certainly not much. 

Simon - good thinking to remove the cable from the right hand side controls and see if I can move the flaps then. 

I'll have a fiddle when I get home and go from there. 

If anyone has any photos as they have stripped a dash out that would be brilliant! 

Cheers, Paul

There's a good chance there are pictures in my thread in my signature. Afraid I've not got an index, but have a scroll through! 

I've had mine apart too - I'll see if I've got any useful pictures, otherwise you'll have to trawl through my 109 thread in the members vehicles section.

You can remove the lower dash and leave the upper stuff alone, which is probably best if you can avoid disturbing it.

Here's a few photos - I blanked off the top panel to remove the windscreen vents:

2019-06-16_15-31-58.jpg

2019-06-16_17-06-20.jpg

Photos are really appreciated & useful but most of all, I'm intrigued and heartened by Fridges reply that it can be removed without disturbing the upper dash; if this is right (and I have no reason to doubt) then it would make life far easier! 

Hopefully work won't be too busy tomorrow and I can trawl some members threads. 

Fridge, can you recall if theres anything particular about just removing the lower dash?

I'll be starting with disconnecting the cable at the dash end and giving the flap a finger wiggle and go from there. 

Once again, thanks for the input so far.

Cheers, Paul

@Northwards - correct, my truck has no heater matrix, I am using an eberspacher inside and a heated screen for demisting. I also made the driver's end a separate removable section to house the fusebox + ECU;

2020-02-08_15-13-22.jpg

@landroversforever -  I'd say 50/50 as trying to get to the top panel screws and tinker about with the flaps with the lower section in place / upper dash in the way could be a lot more fiddly than just dropping it down / being able to tilt it forwards to get a good look in.

@Northern Paul - I can't be 100% certain as my truck is a long way from standard but I'm fairly sure the central lower dash is one lump that can be un-screwed without having to dismantle everything above it, although the heater control cables will probably put up a fight;

1085_parcel_tray_and_heater_duct.png.fd1ef8522b5ec61f183ec1150be72691.png

https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-rover-defender-interior-trim/trim/parcel-tray-heater-duct_53604

Your diagram @FridgeFreezer reminds me (As mine was a post 02 TD5 type)... you'd need to take #14 out to get to the middle screws. Once that's out you'd be able to get to all of the screws holding #21 in. Obviously if those screws are an arse, you can take it further and remove the lower dash completely. I do remember the wiring loom being an arse behind there where it comes through the bulkhead.

More useful information, thank you. 

In light of everything so far, I'll start by disconnecting the control cable on the righthand side of the dash and try to ascertain if I can waggle the flaps with my fingers. If so, it seems likely the cable will be seized / jammed & it'll get a liberal dosing of penetrating fluid over a few days with some judicious wiggling and jiggling. 

However, if the flaps are still retricient once the cable is removed, I'll get in there with a WiFi endoscope camera on my phone to see if there is anything obvious blocking things. If that doesn't yeild anything conclusive then on to... 

... stripping the lower dash while attempting to leave the upper dash in place. If it comes to this I'll likely remove the whole lower dash to get some Silent Coat in the heater duct enclosure along with some closed cell foam to try and prevent some of the drumming but more to insulate the enclosure so toasty hot air from the heater isn't coming staight into contact with cold metal. 

@FridgeFreezer in the attached diagram, where are bolts #6 hidden? Presumably the captive nuts #9 are in the bulkhead. Any idea of bolt size?

Once again, thanks for the help / advice so far...

Cheers, Paul

To remove the lower dash, you will have to remove two bolts through the top lip into bulkhead captive nuts.  They are concealed by the plastic tray insert, which in turn is constrained by the plastic trim that forms the grille over the vent flaps, grey on earlier models and black with the centre console on later TD5s..

30 minutes ago, Northern Paul said:

in the attached diagram, where are bolts #6 hidden? Presumably the captive nuts #9 are in the bulkhead. Any idea of bolt size?

I think they're the top lip bolts snagger mentioned, mine are M6 / 10mm socket (and a right fiddle as there's very little gap around the heads and the angle sucks) but I've no idea if that's standard or something I did last time round :lol:

1085_parcel_tray_and_heater_duct_bolts.png.e5f62c3af6e3c58f6c34a6c99e716f5c.png

Looking at my photos I suspect I put the M6 rivnuts in those holes myself;

2019-05-25_17-14-31.jpg

7 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Depends - IIRC the centre binnacle bit is screwed to the upper not the lower.

Yes - it’s like the SIII auxiliary switch panel but with a flat face for the light switch rather than the vertical apex.  The trouble is, that panel assembly will trap the plastic tray in place beneath, hiding access to the two bulkhead bolts.

The simple bodgy way around it would be to cut the tray around the base of the switch panel assembly to remove the side sections of the tray.  I suspect, though am not certain, that the bolts will be outboard of the switch panel assembly and should be revealed this way.  Still better to remove the panel and tray properly, in my view, unless there is a mayor problem in getting the panel out and time is very limited.