Puzzle... Correct master/slave cylinder; 200TDI RRC R380

loserbandit

I've got a '93 200TDI RRC 2door with a R380 gearbox in the shop. Can anyone help identify the correct master and slave cylinder clutch PN's to remedy a reservoir leak?

• Master cylinder clutch [AEU1714] = Seems right
  • Slave cylinder clutch [FTC5072] = Not right (too short)

FTC5202 [slave] with FTC3912 [pushrod] ?

Any guidance is appreciated. I've hit a wall on this one.

Thanks...

Edited by loserbandit

@western thank you for those links. I had a tough time navigating Lrcat while researching this.

When trying to fit FTC5072, the pushrod is too short (deeper bore?) and the hydraulic connection the wrong thread type. Looks like FTC5202 fits R380 from gearbox serials 56A onward.

Going to give FTC5202 + FTC5199 a go. Will post an update on findings. 

Appreciate all feedback/help.

• Like 1

My '93 was a 200 TDI and had the LT77 box but with the Borg Warner viscous transfer.  Believe this was the normal configuration from 92 to 94.  The R380 was on the 300 TDI I assume.  So if you have a 200TDI and an R380, it's a "free choice" on what to use!

Edited by Alsace_rangie
  • Like 1

Yeah, it was either

* VM + LT77
* 200TDi + LT77
* 300TDi + R380

So it's likely you'll need the 300TDi/R380 slave, which according to this diagram should be FT5072, as you said.

Are you 100% sure it's an R380 (reverse under 5th) and not an LT77 (reverse next to 1st)? For an LT77 it should be either FTC2498 or TKC2786L.

One other thing, didn't the 2-door stop being made after 1990?  All the diesel 2-doors I have seen have been VMs unless converted.

So if I'm right in this, it all points to this car being a bit special and any standard part numbers may not apply as the box and engine may even be from a disco or defender.

On 10/6/2022 at 3:29 PM, Alsace_rangie said:

One other thing, didn't the 2-door stop being made after 1990?  All the diesel 2-doors I have seen have been VMs unless converted.

So if I'm right in this, it all points to this car being a bit special and any standard part numbers may not apply as the box and engine may even be from a disco or defender.

My mate in Spain has a '92 three door - VM/LT77/BW (although now a 200/R380/Lt230

OK, so not so simple...

From Wikipiedia "The four-door version was well received by the public — its popularity was such that the two-door was discontinued in the United Kingdom in 1984,[13] although the two-door continued to be produced through January 1994, mainly for the French market.[14]"

Only one of the reference links is still valid on the Wiki page (ref 14, article on Land Rover Monthly is not there anymore)

So finding later 2-doors with LHD is possible.  I assume that from 92ish the VM was replaced with the 200TDI like the 4 4-door.

@Loserbandit  Not clear where you are located, but sounds like you have a non-standard problem!

thanks all for the comments/insights. 

@Alsace_rangie very much seems a non-standard problem (when isn't it? ha) using CalVIN, the spec breaks down as follows:

• Model: Range Rover Classic (1989-1996)
  • 2-door: Pickup, hood cab, truck cab, or soft/hard top
  • Engine: 2.5 litre Tdi diesel, model 11L (200Tdi) or model 16L (300Tdi)
  • Transmission: Left-hand drive (LHD), 5-speed manual (LT85, LT77, LT77S, R380 or other)

@elbekko yes, for sure an R380; reverse under 5th. @Nonimouse definitely 200tdi.

I've just had the parts arrive from Land Rover today, will post an update on outcome. 

• 2 weeks later...