Early Defender (90?) Bonnet buffers

joe1

Pic shows underside of a bonnet as fitted to a def 90 that came to me. It originally had bonnet pins fitted so I plated over the holes did some bodywork and thought I'd refit it with a new striker. But Duuuh - should have looked more closely!! I've realised it didn't have a latch fitted even though the slam panel is in fact std defender. So  I suspect this is in fact a military bonnet (spare wheel mounting holes and absence of latch mounting ??) so current plan is to put new (locking) bonnet pins in and use it as is.

- Yes I might need  to put a latch on as a fail safe for the bonnet pins 

- But what rubber buffers should mount to the 4 brackets ringed in red at the top of the photo - Are these mrc5016 or something else ?

TIA

def bonnet 1.jpg

Sorry to go on, the MOD numbers are fairly accurate, same as land rover, I think over the course of being married to mine I only come a cropper once on a part number and that was on some silly bracket behind the handbrake lever that nobody wanted to make anymore

• Like 1

Thank you all for helping. I was also doing a bit of searching and found this earlier post - about half down there is a nice diagram of the same style bonnet and the buffers are indeed shown as mrc5016. (Shame that the manuals site landroverv8.com is now error 404 though)

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/94129-stage-1-v8-bonnet-buffer-bracket/

It seems that if the cable operated latch (mrc6978) was fitted there was no secondary latch fitted on the bonnet....

Your bonnet is the same as the early 110 (sliding windows), the safety latch and bonnet release are all in one mechanism. You release the bonnet through the grill, no cable. The safety latch hooks the spring plate. From memory the slam panel is very similar for both early and later.

Mike

• Like 1

I don’t know what spec that bonnet originally is, but I think it is modified, not MoD - it doesn’t have the reinforcement strips along the frame, has no spare wheel buffers and the mounting for the spare wheel is a lash-up of a rear door mount rather than the correct diagonal three stud mounting.

• Like 1

Thank you all for helping. I was also doing a bit of searching and found this earlier post - about half down there is a nice diagram of the same style bonnet and the buffers are indeed shown as mrc5016. (Shame that the manuals site landroverv8.com is now error 404 though)

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/94129-stage-1-v8-bonnet-buffer-bracket/

It seems that if the cable operated latch (mrc6978) was fitted there was no secondary latch fitted on the bonnet....

(Edited for anyone in the future reading all this) to add that I was misreading the parts diagram in the above link - mrc6978 is part of the latch in conjunction with mrc6977 - must have been goggle eyed that night to not see that.   So it is as MikeTomcat below says. And as Snagger below says mine is probably not a military bonnet after all. Thanks everyone!

• Like 1