300tdi Cambelt squeak

L19MUD

I changed the cambelt and the drive belt on the 110 300tdi I am rebuilding a few months a go. The truck has been started and moved a few times but not run for long. It is now squeaking really badly from the front of the engine which I suspected to be the drive belt and probably a dodgy idler on the tensioner.

I thought I would do that quick job today to get it off the list. Removed the tensioner and belt and thought I would fire her up to make sure the noise was gone. It isn't, must be the cambelt. What can have gone wrong and be misaligned in there?

I know it will all need stripping down again but couldn't face trying to get the crank bolt undone

Cover off and noise has gone, cover back on and noise is gone! I had pushed the belt back slightly on the FIP pulley with my fingers but surely it would centre after a couple of revolutions where it wanted anyway?

No obvious marks on the timing cover

Will read through Mavericks posts

I reckon that you don’t have the revised injector pump mounting bracket fitted to the engine. This locates the injector pump in the correct location and prevents the timing case twisting slightly which causes the belt to run very slightly off centre. (they always look off centre when the cover is removed as the pulleys are reversed)

I have had well over twenty 300tdis over the years and only a couple had the revised bracket fitted.

Edited by oneandtwo

35 minutes ago, oneandtwo said:

I reckon that you don’t have the revised injector pump mounting bracket fitted to the engine. This locates the injector pump in the correct location and prevents the timing case twisting slightly which causes the belt to run very slightly off centre. (they always look off centre when the cover is removed as the pulleys are reversed)

I have had well over twenty 300tdis over the years and only a couple had the revised bracket fitted.

Do you have any part nos. or pic's to show the difference?

Steve

This video from Mike at Britannica Restorations, explains the difference apparently (I haven't yet watched it). I got to it via a part number search on LRWorkshop, and it appears to have been posted there by one dailysleaze, who might well be our @dailysleaze.

Freida Turner told once me that my 300TDi will have the modified bracket, as it is a 'Turner rebuild' (before my time) but I have never really known what to check.

Interesting. I will take a look and see what I have fitted. I have started it a few times now for 30 seconds at a time (drive belt not fitted) and do not have the squeal/squeak. I did not have this as a problem pre cam belt change  and the pump was not removed/touched