Dash warning panel bulb holders

Having resolved my handbrake warning light issue I have another issue with the warning panel bulb holders.  The 1987 Parts Catalogue, p. 726 shows Item 12 to be a bulb holder, Part No. AEU2722, number required: 13.  These appear to be for the majority of warning bulbs and make contact with the thin copper sheet surfaces on the plastic of the panel.  No problem so far.

What I want is the bulb holder that goes in the end holes in the panel which should have a pair of contact extending from the end.  I am assuming that  this is Item 13, Part No. AEU2723, shown as NLA use Part No. RTC3878, number required: 1.  Having bought this part, genuine LR, I find that it is virtually the same as AEU2722.  It does not have the extended contacts, see photo below with the recently purchased RTC3878 on the left and the item I want on the right.

Please, can anybody point me in the direction of the part I need, and a Part No. if possible?  Many thanks in advance, and in anticipation of somebody having this info☺️.

DSCN1504.thumb.JPG.459187cc52ec3b49c6195c1e2c98d32c.JPG

Mike

I looked at item 16 here https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-rover-defender-body-electrics/instruments-clock/instruments_52863#16

which is STC3086 and if it's the correct part, here's one source,  https://www.paddockspares.com/stc3086-bulb-holder.html

Does that look like the correct one?

Peaklander, you're absolutely brilliant.  Thank you very much for this link, and yes, it certainly does look like the correct item and the LR Parts Catalogue is wrong.  I'll add this to my order for the parkbrake warning bulb and mounting bracket.

Mike

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

The 1987 Parts Catalogue, p. 726

I used that approach a few years ago but now there are better options. My copy of that catalogue isn't 'searchable' as it is a pdf of scanned pages.

You would find the whole parts searching task a lot easier, if you move on to something like the resource at lrworkshop. I am a registered user of that site but otherwise have no link to it. If it covers your vehicle, then it is so much better to be able to search for part numbers or descriptions.

You can use the links to check some of the current suppliers and prices. Also the wiring diagrams are interactive and make it easier to cross reference to connectors.

https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams

• Thanks 1

I remember looking superficially at the site some years ago for electrical info, but since it didn't cover the year of my vehicle - 1991 - I haven't revisited.  I've obviously been missing out on a great resource and it's lining up to be my go-to reference library.  The advantage, for me, of the LR catalogue is that it is a *.pdf file, so I can access it on my workshop computer where I don't have internet.  I can see that I'll be making more frequent visits to the house to clarify issues.  Thank you, again, for re-introducing me to this site.

Mike

Yes understand - offline is handy. Do you not have cheap and cheerful mobile data or perhaps no signal? I can just see the wifi from the garage but I have a 4G data signal and have an unlimited calls + 11 GB bundle for <£9 per month. Maybe BC is a bit more tricky!

Yes, it is more tricky.  My workshop has a metal roof, metal walls and a metal door, so it is pretty effectively insulated from my house wi-fi system.  Here, in Canada, UK mobile phone and internet prices are only something we can dream about.  My mobile phone costs ~C$83 (GBP50) monthly which gives me more minutes than I ever use, perhaps 1000 minutes per month,  and I don't know how much internet!  Monthly I seem to use a total of ~300 minutes that include incoming and outgoing calls, and virtually zero internet usage, but there's no option for a cheaper package.  Costs are so high because the three mobile phone/internet providers try to provide coverage over a huge area.  Canada is approximately 40X the area of UK, although much of it is virtually unpopulated, and less than half the population.  Even providing cover along major highways is a challenge because distances between major centres are huge - - 10 hours driving for us to Calgary or to Vancouver, and 4 or 5 hours to our nearest equivalent to B&Q.

Anyway, these are some of the prices I pay to live in Canada, and they are well worth it!  Having lived in UK and a number of other European and Asian countries, there is no place I'd rather live.  Apologies for the diatribe, I'll get my snowshoes and leave!

Mike

17 hours ago, Peaklander said:

I have a 4G data signal and have an unlimited calls + 11 GB bundle for <£9 per month

Just for info and I know it's off-topic but I have quoted a monthly sim-only cost and they can be much lower than that with less data. Your numbers are similar to the UK monthly cost for a contract phone, that is, paying for the handset as well as the call/data plan.

Maybe the best solution for your garage would be to run a CAT5/6 data cable out from the router in your house.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you, Peaklander, that is what I think I need to do.  It's about , guessing, 40m  from where the router is, and I could lay the cable in a conduit and bury it all the way - thank god for a Kubota with a narrow back hoe bucket!  Yes, one more job on my list.  Will I ever clear my list?☹️

Mike

5 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

Thank you, Peaklander, that is what I think I need to do.  It's about , guessing, 40m  from where the router is, and I could lay the cable in a conduit and bury it all the way - thank god for a Kubota with a narrow back hoe bucket!  Yes, one more job on my list.  Will I ever clear my list?☹️

Mike

Just get exterior armoured cable and pin it to a fence if that's easier - saves a trench. There's also buryable cable which doesn't need a conduit.

Thank you for these suggestions.  I must admit that I haven't looked at any of the options for getting a cable to my shop, but I will certainly follow-up on your suggestions.  I've only had the shop for eleven years, so there's obviously no great rush!

Mike

41 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

If it's on the same main circuit, powerline connectors work well, and means no cables.....

Actually that's a really good suggestion - I use them a fair amount for routing IP TV around and they're more than adequate for that...

51 minutes ago, Troll Hunter said:

For various reasons, mainly our house incoming capacity, the shop is on its own supply via a transformer on a local utility pole.  I assume that prevent use of powerline connectors, but please tell me I'm wrong.

Mike

I'd tell you you're wrong if you were. But sadly you're not.

Though if armoured mains cable is significantly cheaper than Ethernet you could set up a single socket just for the powerline...