Using CB radio in Spain and maybe France

Northwards

Hi guys,

Just like the title says really. I've had a CB in my car on and off for many years. It was put in first for a two Defender diving trip from nth of Scotland to the Sth of Ireland and back, and used on organised 'group' trips. Worth having for those few occasions. I think CB is great for quick discussions about routes, pit stops or any mechanical issues - a whole lot easier than a phone.

I only really use it on these trips, and as an example, in France last year when it was just me, I left the mic and the aerial at home.

For the 2023 trip we're looking at the Pyrenees and home via the west of France. A couple of friends might join us from Scotland to Spain and maybe for the return leg too. Before I suggest a CB radio for his car, can I check if anyone knows whether it's legal to have/use a CB in Spain and France? 

I have searched here and googled before posting. I saw some references to a licence for Spain, nothing for France, but none of those results were recent and I've no idea if those things are still in effect or if Brexit has c*cked this up changed this as well? 

In practical terms for two cars travelling in quite close convoy and transmitting intermittently on low power I can't see that we'd annoy anyone, but the aerials themselves are a little obvious - even if I do have a short-ish fitted at the back/roof of my car. 

Does anyone have any info on this? 

Many thanks 

Donald 

Thanks very much guys - that’s the sort of peace of mind I was hoping for. Like I say, I don’t use it much so I know virtually nothing about frequencies etc but mine is a fairly new set with EU frequencies on it, so I’m sure I’m OK in that respect.

You should be able to use CEPT approved CB radio in any european country, without a licence. Technically it may be illegal to use a radio with UK channels available (even if you only use the CEPT channels), but realistically, you'd really struggle to find anyone who both knows and cares :ph34r:

• Like 1

Thanks again. The radio I have is a CRT brand, which I think is French anyway. I’ll need to check the box or the manual to see if it’s got a CEPT label on it. Until seeing it mentioned here, and googling, I had no idea what it meant so would not have noticed it.