Coolant loss problem

Equinut

My 02 TD5 has been losing about 100ml/month until recently when it increased very substantially. Warning was given by a float switch I fitted in the header tank soon after I bought the car 21/2 years ago. During this recent cold weather the car does not warm up properly, even when set to full heat. The temp.guage needle is steady at 3o-clock. The top hose & heater rad. hoses are warm rather than hot. The top hose has been bled. For the last 3 weeks or so the car has been run with the pressure cap loose, so the system is not presssurised. When cold the coolant level settles down to about 5 - 10ml below the  seam where the top & bottom of the tank are joined, without further loss. I'm wondering if the thermostat needs replacing? Members thoughts please.

20 hours ago, Equinut said:

When cold the coolant level settles down to about 5 - 10ml below the  seam where the top & bottom of the tank are joined, without further loss.

Could it be a leaky seam on the tank?

Slow warm-up could easily be a stuck thermostat too.

I had success with coolant leak-detecting dye, there's kits sold on ebay for not very much with very bright dye + UV torch, saves a lot of poking around for leaks.

• Like 1

My Td5 uses coolant …

If the header tank ends up low your heater will be too … it’s at the same height so no warm air.

Mine had a leak on the fuel cooler - I could see pink dried coolant in the engine mount underneath it. You can buy viton O rings to repair it (though the clips are an arse).

I also had a leak from the pipe to the head, just ahead of the turbo, again I could see dried pink on the engine casings on that side. 

They can also leak from the oil cooler on the other side of the block - and also from the core plug part way under the exhaust manifold.

Mine is leaking from the plug - and at the moment it’s easier to top it up than strip the manifold off - I’ve convinced myself I’ll be into snapped stud territory.