2022 Defender commercial hard top insurance

Hi we have just made a bit of a rookie error and ordered a 2022 Defender D300 Hard Top HSE. We are now finding it impossible to find insurance as it is a commercial vehicle for business usage.  Have been refused by about 5 companies and brokers including NFU,. Aviva who are not taking on new Land Rover customers currently (not sure if it is just Defenders?).  We have been waiting on Adrian Flux for 5 hours so about to chase but otherwise has anyone got any suggestions on who may insure it on a business policy?

I'm surprised at NFU; did you talk to a local office or ring the national number? If you have not walked into the local office, do so, they'll find it harder to refuse you that way.

Talk to a commercial broker, try Direct Line and try the Internet platforms. My goto for weird stuff is an independent broker, West Craven Insurance Services Ltd, 01756 802100 in Skipton, as they put themselves out for a quote for a 4x4 Response charity. I dealth with Scott Clarkson.

Thank you western and Jeremy996 - we went through our local branch of NFU 5 minutes down the road from us - the lady was incredibly helpful and was so apologetic but told us after talking with the underwriter they are unable to take on any new Land Rover policies due to the number of theft claims and will only consider customers who have existing policies with them - which we don't unfortunately.  She did give me BIBA's details who put me in touch with Adrian Flux who after chasing never came back to me either.  After several more no's I think we have finally got there but been a nerve wracking couple of days with an expensive uninsured car sat on the drive!   Thanks for your advice.

• 5 months later...
Just now, simonr said:

Are Grenadiers more secure?

Apparently! Part of it will be security by obscurity, but no proximity keys and a modern immobiliser is a good start. The alarm and immobiliser is not Thatcham Class 1 and Ineos are being coy about why, (marketing cock-up, administration fail or technical boo-boo?) I expect it will be 18 months - 2 years before we get a better idea of the security of the Grenadier, most insurance companies are still guessing at this point.

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...

l've got a 2022 Defender Commercial and it's currently insured with LV

They didn't have a problem insuring it for business use and the premium this year was £300

Also Direct Line we're happy to take the vehicle on for the remainder of the policy when l bought the vehicle.

HOWEVER

l have read scare stories about Land Rover insurance this year, and l checked this month with LV as a "new quote" and while they will insure it, the premium was nearer £1,000

I will have to see what happens on renewing later this year, but one of my friends has had to sell her new Defender as her premium went from £1400 to £3000

Edited by Lightning

• 5 months later...