First real tests with the Milemarker

henk

This weekend I was offroading in France and had the opportunity to do the first real tests with the hydraulic winch and pto pump.

First pull was a disaster: the rope slipped on the drum despite a larger bolt to secure the end of the rope on the drum (it broke off) and the red-winch strap that also should prevent slipping did do nothing.

At a quiet moment I had time to wind off the rope completely and fix the end with duck-tape, then went to the other side of the drum to fix it there with ducktape again and then rewind it under some tension and then with the handbrake on under full tension.

Next pull was great fun: with constant speed you can pull yourself out of every hole and when in 4th gear it's even a lot faster than every normal electric winch

But you have to get used to use it correctly (diff lock in free, engage pump, put in gear and get your foot of the clutch and at the end not to forget to disengage the pump)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My old Milemarker is now on the third vehicle it's been fitted on (and it has been on the current 110 since I bought it new 16 years ago) the winch now must be over 20 years old I think. Only time it has ever missed a beat was once recovering a VERY stuck vehicle, it stalled and seemed to be short on pull, once I investigated the problem I realised that the polyvee belt on the pump had just stretched with age, a quick adjustment on the pump bracket and back to full power. Was thinking the other day it's looking a bit corroded, writing this I've just realised how old it now is!

It's only got the PAS pump, slow but I use it far more for "moving things creatively" than for self-recovery, and when you're winching a badly-built farm garage back to vertical to put bracing in the timber frame so the doors actually shut (its last job a few days ago), being able to move the 'load' in increments of half an inch at a time using a wireless remote is just what you need. I really don't know what I'll replace it with when something eventually fails - I've got a TDS on the Puma but it's a different machine entirely, better for a quick pull out of a ditch, less useful for just about everything else. Been thinking about a PTO pump for the last 16 years, and I'll probably keep thinking about it :ph34r:

• Like 3