Heaterbox alternatives 200tdi

Hi all,

So ive just fitted a specially built 200tdi

lots and lots of toys - ARP head studs, balanced components, holset turbo, tubular manifold, bespoke fuel pump

and because i have it mounted to an LT77 the engine already sits very close to the bulkhead... and for clearance of the downpipe in 3" I've had to either modify the air box, or remove it

Does anyone use a smaller one ? or used something from another vehicle?

Ive convinced myself to just run a diesel heater and be done with it - but you have to ask

327469815_1207169033339017_9008908113224053745_n.jpg

337150390_241283918300977_3508137476172946446_n.jpg

337524665_606335647734231_8311081368590260094_n.jpg

337695912_931480137976350_6464151996370790836_n.jpg

A bit OT (exhausts)... but: Cool Downpipe. What is it made from?

I made mine from a flexible stainless steel exhaust hose for trucks. The thicker hose made a huge difference. A lot more torque in low revs.

I wrote an article in a german internet magacine about that. Here is the translation.

https://www-explorermagazin-de.translate.goog/bauberi/defaus21.htm?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

15 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

I made mine from a flexible stainless steel exhaust hose for trucks. The thicker hose made a huge difference. A lot more torque in low revs.

I wrote an article in a german internet magacine about that. Here is the translation.

https://www-explorermagazin-de.translate.goog/bauberi/defaus21.htm?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

They’re clip together plastic segments so you can sort routing before making anything in steel. 

14 hours ago, landroversforever said:

They’re clip together plastic segments so you can sort routing before making anything in steel. 

Interesting if you want so produce a solid tube but sounds like a lot of welding. I really have good experiences with the flex hose for truck exhausts. Everything is unexpectedly tight an it is now 2 years and 50000km old.

On 3/27/2023 at 7:12 AM, miketomcat said:

Could you slim down the heater box from memory that end is just the cold air bypass around the matrix. It might get what you need, I never bother to use that function on ours I just turn the fan off and open the flaps in summer.

Mike

I did have a look inside ... it all looked a bit too specific to interfere with lol

On 3/27/2023 at 8:53 AM, steve b said:

Like this?

Defender200tdiheaterboxmod(3).thumb.JPG.32050f72fa4bd437d93aa71a891f160f.JPG

Defender200tdiheaterboxmod(4).thumb.JPG.d5a2ce6c957220b8476765ba103430be.JPG

Defender200tdiheaterboxmod(5).thumb.JPG.eb9801c5355e7b39fedf39d42943ada2.JPG

In this case modified to allow fit/removal with the wing and manifolds in place. There is still air space inside it for cold air flow.

Lol _ obviously it can be done then! the asthmatic mouse blowing down a straw wasnt exactly wonderful and being a softop, I'm hoping the diesel heater works better in the long run

On 3/27/2023 at 8:53 AM, steve b said:

Steve

On 3/27/2023 at 9:34 AM, Sigi_H said:

So thats the former for the 15 degree pie cuts

It will be stainless - but only because i want to and can at work - ill also make all the other pipework in stainless

The new Holset turbo will flow significantly more than the standard and at 30-35 psi it will need as much free space as possible

10 hours ago, frankoacoustics said:

Lol _ obviously it can be done then! the asthmatic mouse blowing down a straw wasnt exactly wonderful and being a softop, I'm hoping the diesel heater works better in the long run

If a defender heater is asthmatic, there’s something amiss. They flow pretty well, they’re just prone to not being adjusted correctly and the bulkhead seal falling apart. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

Interesting if you want so produce a solid tube but sounds like a lot of welding. I really have good experiences with the flex hose for truck exhausts. Everything is unexpectedly tight an it is now 2 years and 50000km old.

Can be done either way, pie cuts as mentioned so you weld lots of little sections or you can cut it from pre-bent sections of the right centre line radius. If it’s the latter then the visible bit in the picture is maybe 4 welds.

22 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

You could always take the heater box out entirely and replace it with a blown air heater in the cab.

Mo

I think thats where im going - got a chinese diesel heater, heated seats and heated windscreen so might just use that instead an make my airbox I'm designing fit in the wing

14 hours ago, landroversforever said:

If a defender heater is asthmatic, there’s something amiss. They flow pretty well, they’re just prone to not being adjusted correctly and the bulkhead seal falling apart. 

as i said mine being a soft top - the heater doesnt do an awful lot

and exhaust wise I a own a fabrication company so welding pie cuts isnt any more work for us

• Like 1