Series 3 - Club scene

buzzard

Hi there,

I'm thinking of getting a Series 3 as small ongoing project - my first Land Rover.

My friend has an MG B, which  has an amazing community behind it, with lots of runs out to places. I'd like a project car to fiddle with, get out and about in a bit more, and meet some more people so the MG appealed.

I've wanted a Land Rover for a number of years but they haven't fit into real life until now; I saw the Santana rally whilst flicking through a magazine and it made me think a Landy might be good now. Looking around, it looks like lots of the club outings are based at off-road sites, which is great in theory, but I only really intend to do Tyros or perhaps RTVs, so would be disappointed if I joined a club to find it was a lot of things I couldn't take part in.

All that is to ask; how do you find the club scene, and where do you find new things to do with your Landy if it isn't your daily driver?

Thanks

14 hours ago, buzzard said:

Hi there,

I'm thinking of getting a Series 3 as small ongoing project - my first Land Rover.

My friend has an MG B, which  has an amazing community behind it, with lots of runs out to places. I'd like a project car to fiddle with, get out and about in a bit more, and meet some more people so the MG appealed.

I've wanted a Land Rover for a number of years but they haven't fit into real life until now; I saw the Santana rally whilst flicking through a magazine and it made me think a Landy might be good now. Looking around, it looks like lots of the club outings are based at off-road sites, which is great in theory, but I only really intend to do Tyros or perhaps RTVs, so would be disappointed if I joined a club to find it was a lot of things I couldn't take part in.

All that is to ask; how do you find the club scene, and where do you find new things to do with your Landy if it isn't your daily driver?

Thanks

ALRC clubs run lots of RTV and Tyro trials. Most clubs have some sort of social scene too, but it does depend a bit. Green laning is another option.

There are a host of shows through out the year and summer that you can attend (although some are a rather dominated by the One Live Live It owners, which might not be the scene you are after). That said, the Land Rover maybe isn't the best on road and meet up type of car if you don't plan to off road. I personally like driving them on road. But they are neither sporty nor fast. So driving out to a pub meet is less likely than with other marques.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

So driving out to a pub meet is less likely than with other marques.

I'd disagree - a Series is a super practical and usable classic compared to a hell of a lot of stuff of similar age. Sure it's a bit sedate (but that's solvable) but our members with Series do get out and use them for everything - from bog standard to very modified.

199669275_3885813528134349_6259521914441

2022-09-24_065.jpg

IMG_2092.JPG

2023-06-24_09-51-03a.jpg

2020-03-08_11-22-48.jpg

2017-07-28_18h00h46.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

You're in luck with your timing - pop along to our club social next Thursday and have a chat, quite a few of our members have S3's.

http://www.shirelrc.com/event/september-club-social/

And we've definitely got events you could join in with.

Oooh, cool, thanks! ShireLRC looked to be one of the better clubs for the area. I'll probably see you there :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

ALRC clubs run lots of RTV and Tyro trials. Most clubs have some sort of social scene too, but it does depend a bit. Green laning is another option.

There are a host of shows through out the year and summer that you can attend (although some are a rather dominated by the One Live Live It owners, which might not be the scene you are after). That said, the Land Rover maybe isn't the best on road and meet up type of car if you don't plan to off road. I personally like driving them on road. But they are neither sporty nor fast. So driving out to a pub meet is less likely than with other marques.

Thank you - as I wrote this I thought greenlaning could be pretty good.

Thank you for the replies guys.

I'll definitely be up for taking it off roading on a fairly regular basis, but will probably be keeping it fairly standard.

Ability to drive it on the road (to get to things or just to enjoy) is one of the things that I wonder about with a S3; the MG was pretty good to drive on the road. I guess I'll have to try one at some point!

1 hour ago, buzzard said:

Ability to drive it on the road (to get to things or just to enjoy) is one of the things that I wonder about with a S3; the MG was pretty good to drive on the road. I guess I'll have to try one at some point!

This is one that will split opinion. Personally I find Land Rovers and most 4x4's very enjoyable to drive. But not everyone will. However, you do need to enjoy them for different reasons. I'd paraphrase it a bit like a pint of beer and a pint of chocolate milkshake. I really enjoy both because they appeal in different ways.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, buzzard said:

I'll definitely be up for taking it off roading on a fairly regular basis, but will probably be keeping it fairly standard.

I drive my S3 for everyday journeys whenever I get the opportunity.  Its not fast but fun and you get to see more being higher up and not in a rush.

And there's no doubt that they keep better for being driven, unlike a "proper classic" you don't have to worry about driving them in the rain as the aluminium body panels won't rust (the rest will, but it's all easy to repair when it does). I used to drive a '72 MGB but got paranoid about rust, road tar marks etc and didn't drive it enough. 

14 hours ago, buzzard said:

We've got several members who drive S3's a lot, to everything from socials to off-road, I'm sure you'd be welcome to have a go in one.

I did drive mine to Russia & back a few times just because :ph34r: