sallisbury rear axle brake shoes

hurbie

hello all , 

just had  a suprise , i needed rear brake shoes for my 1987 110 3 door, sallisbury axle and ordered "RTC3418" these seem to be superceded with STC2797G.

however , these don't fit , the brake material is too thick and the pins for the adjusters don't fully line up with the adjusters .

the brakelining itself is also the same on both shoes , different from what i got fitted (the trailing shoe has less material on the botom) 

the shoes are from Ferodo , so a decent brand ....

anybody know what shoes i need to get ?

stc2797F.thumb.jpg.c900b8d72b91a9acea510cdcbf18cb24.jpg

seems there are 2 different types of brake shoes : STC359 (for heavy duty axles (over 3050kg and 130's)) and RTC3418 for "normal" vehicles .

these seem to be supperceded with the STC2797.

the strange part is that the brake back plate's have a different number as well AEU2496 and AEU2497 for the normal axle and STC361 and STC360 for heavy duty axle and 130's .

so if the backplate is different , why are the shoes renumbered to the same set ?

could it be that a 3 door 110 has the Heavy duty axle, as opposed the 5 door stationwagen having the normal axle ?

(just had surgery on my knee , so can't crawl under to see the axle number)

It is likely that you have the correct shoes. Some aftermarket makes have the same length linings on trailing and leading shoes, unlike the originals. The defining feature which distinguishes the leading and trailing shoes, is the height of the pin which the adjuster acts on. The leading shoe is the one with the pin lower down the shoe than the trailing shoe. Leading shoe goes closest to front of vehicle. If fitted incorrectly, and or the adjusters are not backed off correctly in relation to the pins, adjustment and or fitting will be difficult. 

The details on this link apply to both series and defender 110 salisbury axles.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/landRoverFAQ/FAQ_rearbrakes.htm

Hope you get it sorted, regards, Diff.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Diff said:

It is likely that you have the correct shoes. Some aftermarket makes have the same length linings on trailing and leading shoes, unlike the originals. The defining feature which distinguishes the leading and trailing shoes, is the height of the pin which the adjuster acts on. The leading shoe is the one with the pin lower down the shoe than the trailing shoe. Leading shoe goes closest to front of vehicle. If fitted incorrectly, and or the adjusters are not backed off correctly in relation to the pins, adjustment and or fitting will be difficult. 

The details on this link apply to both series and defender 110 salisbury axles.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/landRoverFAQ/FAQ_rearbrakes.htm

Hope you get it sorted, regards, Diff.

thanks , that's very informative.

(i didn't have a go at the brakes myself (stuck in the sickbay with knee surgery)) so asked the local garage to have a go at it , they couldn't get it to work so just put the old worn shoes back on ....

Unfortunately, many people including professional mechanics and Land Rover enthusiasts get the fitting of Salisbury rear axle brake shoes wrong. This often results in difficulty fitting, adjusting the shoes and getting a decent pedal height.

The reasons for getting it wrong are not surprising and mistakes are easily made because:

1.  The workshop manuals are not clear which one is the leading shoe

2. There is a lot of incorrect information posted on the internet

3. Some pattern part manufacturers put the same length linings on both leading and trailing shoes which make them look identical, but they are not.

4. Putting new shoes on, copying what was fitted, assumes that the last person in there did it correctly.

I have read many threads by people unable to get a decent pedal height, some of those may be because of this issue. This was the case with my 1985 110. With the shoes fitted the wrong way, the brakes worked (not brilliantly), but the pedal would go further on the first press than was desirable, even when adjusted to be almost dragging, often requiring a second press. With the shoes on the correct way and adjusted, the brakes were instantly better and engaged as soon as the pedal was pressed. No slack.

As above, the leading shoe is the one with the pin lowest on the shoe.

Regards, Diff.

• Like 1

Hi Gazzar, yes, that's correct.

If you look at the drawing you posted from the manual, it shows the position of the brake linings on the shoes as the defining factor in deciding which is the leading shoe, however, as you have discovered, many replacement shoes don't have the brake linings bonded to the shoes in the same place as the originals. Therefore the defining factor in deciding which is the leading shoe is the position of the pins in the shoes, not the position of the linings.

The manual makes no mention of the relevance of the pins that the adjusters act on. But, if you look at the drawing in the manual, you can just see the edge of the adjusters behind the shoes where one is at a different height to the other.

Your photos of the brake back plate clearly shows that the adjusters are at different heights and that the pins on the shoes are too.

Many thanks for illustrating my points so well.

Good luck with the rest of the build. Look forward to seeing it done.

Regards, Diff.

Edited by Diff
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 2:44 PM, hurbie said:

hello all , 

just had  a suprise , i needed rear brake shoes for my 1987 110 3 door, sallisbury axle and ordered "RTC3418" these seem to be superceded with STC2797G.

however , these don't fit , the brake material is too thick and the pins for the adjusters don't fully line up with the adjusters .

the brakelining itself is also the same on both shoes , different from what i got fitted (the trailing shoe has less material on the botom) 

the shoes are from Ferodo , so a decent brand ....

anybody know what shoes i need to get ?

stc2797F.thumb.jpg.c900b8d72b91a9acea510cdcbf18cb24.jpg

Ummm....Perodo....😏😁