Steering problems

I have a bit of a problem with my steering, though it only seems to occur when I turn to the right. As I move the steering wheel it feels as if something is catching on something else which restricts my turning ability, I have to put in a little more force and then it suddenly "jumps" round. When it "jumps" round you can hear a fairly loud knock, it sounds as if its coming from the front offside corner.

Any ideas ?

I was planning to change my drop arm ball joint this weekend as its a fairly cheap item to replace and a reasonable place to start?

Thanks.

first check the tyres are not hitting the suspension radius arm when the steering is on full lock [& don't hold full lock for more than 30secs as pump damage may result], if the tyre is hitting the arm, adjust the opposite steering stop [on the front of each front swivel assembly, unlock the nut & wind out the stop bolt so the tyre just clears the suspension arm on full lock] if it still happens check for excess plat in the steering joints & bushes & replace as required.

Thanks for the reply but this problem is definitely not turning circle related, when I fitted my new tyres I adjusted the stop bolts as described. There I a small amount of play in the steering column but not enough to cause this problem (I wouldn't have thought)

It feels more as if 2 gears aren't meshing properly then they suddenly slip into place, or as if the ball joint is bent so it doesn't have smooth movement.

Thanks for the reply but this problem is definitely not turning circle related, when I fitted my new tyres I adjusted the stop bolts as described. There I a small amount of play in the steering column but not enough to cause this problem (I wouldn't have thought)

It feels more as if 2 gears aren't meshing properly then they suddenly slip into place, or as if the ball joint is bent so it doesn't have smooth movement.

How long has it been doing this?

Have you recently changed/fitted something?

Get someone to sit in the car and turn the steering for you while you check underneath.

Specifically, check all track rod ends, drop arm ball joint (also ensure that the drop arm isn't fouling on any steering guard you may have) - Make sure that the steering box mounting bolts are torqued correctly, as well as the uj's in the steering column and the drop arm retaining nut.

Also check the panhard rod for play in the bushes - any movement here will allow the axle to move sideways.

It's going to be something obvious when you find it - spend a bit of time under there and you'll get it sorted.

Matt

How long has it been doing this?

Have you recently changed/fitted something?

Get someone to sit in the car and turn the steering for you while you check underneath.

Specifically, check all track rod ends, drop arm ball joint (also ensure that the drop arm isn't fouling on any steering guard you may have) - Make sure that the steering box mounting bolts are torqued correctly, as well as the uj's in the steering column and the drop arm retaining nut.

Also check the panhard rod for play in the bushes - any movement here will allow the axle to move sideways.

It's going to be something obvious when you find it - spend a bit of time under there and you'll get it sorted.

Matt

Hi,

Its been happening for about a month or so and I haven't changed or fitted anything new to the front end during that time.

I'll try your suggestions over the weekend and see if there is anything obvious, the problem is it doesn't seem to happen every time which would lead me to beleive it can't be, for instance the drop arm fouling on a steering guard.

Any idea what torque settings I should use for the steering box mounting bolts?

Thanks for all your comments.

Hi,

Its been happening for about a month or so and I haven't changed or fitted anything new to the front end during that time.

I'll try your suggestions over the weekend and see if there is anything obvious, the problem is it doesn't seem to happen every time which would lead me to beleive it can't be, for instance the drop arm fouling on a steering guard.

Any idea what torque settings I should use for the steering box mounting bolts?

Thanks for all your comments.

also check the steering damper is moving freely. sometimes it gets full of crud which restricts movement/makes movement difficult in one direction

Good morning all!

Following some very useful suggestions I have tried the following;

I have replaced my steering damper (because I already had one in stock anyway),

Lubed up my steering column UJ's with WD40,

Changed the drop arm ball joint,

I tried checking the steering with a mate sat in the truck whilst I was underneath,

Checked the Panhard rod (has poly bushes throughout)

None of the above seemed to make any difference (although the steering does feel a little more smooth before and after the problem occurs)

I've still got to check steering box mounting bolts and also the drop arm retaining bolt.

Another person i know who has a reasonable amount of experiance has suggested this could be the front diff?

All comments are more than welcome! :)

Thanks,

Matt

i would try taking the UJS off and checking them, def not air bubble which is what i first thought unless its a very loud bit of air stuck in there!!!!!

Hi James,

Thank you for the comment, are you referring to the UJ's in the steering column?

Thanks,

Matt

if it helps any i had a problem like what you described and it turned out to be that the cv joint was ceizing abit and that there was hardly any oil in there, but after some nice new swivel grease and a drive round the jumping and steering resistance was gone.

Thanks for all the comments gents, very useful indeed!

Sounds as if I have a busy weekend ahead of me then, I'll probably replace the steering column UJ's unless I find out they are too pricey, and with a bit of luck I'll be able to get away with re-greesing the CV joints instead of replacing.

Thanks again I'm really grateful :)

Matt