3.9 petrol V8 misbehaving.

Chazza

Hello everyone,

My Disco 1 has been stuck in the shed since May last year with a misfiring problem on No.3 cylinder. I rebuilt the engine 3 years ago, properly, and it was running superbly when it was last driven and then not running the next morning. The car has done 320 000km and is in good condition.

A compression test showed every cylinder on the same pressure at about 170psi cold; which indicates to me that the valves are working properly.

No.3 spark plug is always clean (no soot) and fuel is obviously rich at the exhaust outlet and is exploding in the system. The other 7 plugs are dry and sooty.

So a list of parts changed;

• New spark plugs.
  • New distributor cap.
  • New coil – the right type.
  • Ohms test on all high-tension leads; the figures made sense.
  • New airflow meter.
  • All injectors sent away for a clean and check.
  • New injector on No.3
  • New fuel temp sensor.

We have tested the ohms on the harness to the injectors and No.3 was different to the rest, so my brother soldered all of the harness joints, on both sides of the engine.

Can anybody think of something I have missed? It has been quite maddening to have the car off the road for so long,

Cheers Charlie

Does the branch of the manifold cold when starting up? 

I'd suggest a stuck injector, all too common when getting them cleaned, so I have found. 

You can remove, stick 12V to it while blowing through it, if it doesn't click an open it is dead/stuck. 

15 hours ago, JohnnoK said:

I see you fitted a new injector, does it actually work?

Perhaps try swapping two injectors on that bank around and see if the snag moves to another cylinder.

Good idea, thank you.

14 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Does the branch of the manifold cold when starting up? 

I'd suggest a stuck injector, all too common when getting them cleaned, so I have found. 

You can remove, stick 12V to it while blowing through it, if it doesn't click an open it is dead/stuck. 

Thank you for your suggestion. It idles on all 8 cylinders but I will check with a thermometer to see how hot the exhaust manifold gets.

Can you suggest where I can buy a plug to go on the injector? I can make a test-lead,

Cheers Charlie

On 3/25/2024 at 7:57 AM, Bowie69 said:

Worth saying that just applying 12v to it continuously is not good for it, tapping the wire on/off is a nicer way of doing it.

32 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Worth saying that just applying 12v to it continuously is not good for it, tapping the wire on/off is a nicer way of doing it.

Erm, yep :D

Should have said that :)

14 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Thank you.