Steel water pipe repair advice

Hi folks, D2 Td5 - I've got a pin hole in one of the steel pipes that sits below the fan/radiator, I've ordered a new part but I want to do a repair as I'll change the pipe out when I do the chassis later in the year, initial thoughts were to to use an appoxy with some kind of patch material, Dad recommended some kind of tin skin patch outer held by jubilee clips, especially as araldite type material get soft ~80 degrees.

Anyone got any recommendations/advice, needs to be good to hold some pressure.

11 minutes ago, Maverik said:

Hi folks, D2 Td5 - I've got a pin hole in one of the steel pipes that sits below the fan/radiator, I've ordered a new part but I want to do a repair as I'll change the pipe out when I do the chassis later in the year, initial thoughts were to to use an appoxy with some kind of patch material, Dad recommended some kind of tin skin patch outer held by jubilee clips, especially as araldite type material get soft ~80 degrees.

Anyone got any recommendations/advice, needs to be good to hold some pressure.

JB weld or plastic padding leak repair (10min cure)

Regards Stephen

Edit

A piece of thin rubber and one jubilee clip will do if it's only a pin hole

• Like 3

Wrapping it in a jubilee clip(s) and thin rubber. It will leak a bit, but just keep an eye on it regularly 

a pipe wrap is effective, depending if you can get to it, It will need to be dry and oil free to get decent adhesion. 

However, by the time you’ve done all that, faffed about and then I’d always have the thought in my head it might let go at, I suspect you’re better off replacing it properly

Edited by jason110
More context

One pinhole, but obviously the rest of the pipe is as-new. No chance at all of it turning into a colander the next time you're on the motorway on a rainy night :lol:

Repairs as above, but only until the replacement pipe arrives, for my money. (says the bloke who is 60k overdue for a cambelt because he can't be bothered!)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TSD said:

(says the bloke who is 60k overdue for a cambelt because he can't be bothered!)

Makes me feel a bit better about being a little overdue on the d3!