helping a friend

hello all , 

a good friend called in distress , his 200tdi 110 broke down .

so he asked if i could have a look at what's wrong with it , short journey to his home (at this point he had it towed home using his work vehicle), and on arrival the bonnet was already open , ready for a look .

engine cranked over , but a bit fast , so opened the oil filler cap and as i guesed no movement on the rockers ....

so we towed it to my place , and started dismantling the engine . removing the timing cover revealed this :

20240429_110929.thumb.jpg.302e638c7163fdfea4e46e905c222e40.jpg

so that's not hard to spot what's wrong ....

belt is likely to be from a bleu box 😞 

20240429_111138.thumb.jpg.4757c443692f7ea6f927998790c5d2e3.jpg

what i don't get is the fraying on the side of the belt , i thought that only 300tdi's have this problem ?

opening the valvecover revealed this :

20240429_115113.thumb.jpg.1abcb5847e42130cf7f7dc214427bb9a.jpg

no rockers where harmed in this event ....

so a new belt , 8 new pushrods , some time and it will be good to go ...

New tensioner as well? The side wear was probably during the belt failing. The number of bent pushrods suggest it went several revs during failure.

Simple fix though :i-m_so_happy:

Steve 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steve b said:

New tensioner as well?

i think i will replace the tensioner , just to be sure  (belt and tensioner were replaced 6 months ago ....)

16 minutes ago, elbekko said:

The rockers and/or shaft will probably fail soon after that.

could be , but what is the timeframe for "soon"   , the same could be said for the valve's and piston's . so where do you draw the line ....

31 minutes ago, hurbie said:

could be , but what is the timeframe for "soon"   , the same could be said for the valve's and piston's . so where do you draw the line ....

I think it was within 5K or so for me. It's been a while though, and my memory is fuzzy.

9 hours ago, hurbie said:

I've only ever had two rockers fail, out of a fair number of belt failures :ph34r: Caused by a dodgy crank seal and pulley. Never had a rocker shaft fail but have had a cam snap (no belt failures I know of). So I'd just run it.

Mike