Additional Cooling Options

2 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Fitting a brass/copper rad will reduce the temps of the engine. As for heat flow, I'd put some nice tasteful louvres in - and yes, I do know a man who can

Are your manifolds wrapped yet? Do you run a centre box? What bore exhaust have you got?

Rad is my next go-to as my Allisport one has split after less than 3 years on the road, but engine temp is not really the problem. getting the hot air out is the issue.

Manifolds were wrapped but got rid as working in the engine bay became a horrible, itchy affair, plus mud doesn't come out of the weave. I have a 1.25" exhaust on each side to the Y, then 2" then a centre stainless box then 3" out. 

10 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Rad is my next go-to as my Allisport one has split after less than 3 years on the road, but engine temp is not really the problem. getting the hot air out is the issue.

Manifolds were wrapped but got rid as working in the engine bay became a horrible, itchy affair, plus mud doesn't come out of the weave. I have a 1.25" exhaust on each side to the Y, then 2" then a centre stainless box then 3" out. 

If you can do without the 90 for a bit, I'd suggest getting the manifold ceramic coated.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Did you avoid tubular manifolds for a reason?

Exhaust flow is often a big issue with under bonnet temps. I would suggest making it as free flow as possible. Remove the centre box and fit a tail box. Something small and big bore, try and up the header size as much as possible but match the flow. At the moment you go from 2.5 to 2, with likely restrictions at the bends. RPI used to make a really nice 4 into 1 for the MGV8

4 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Or buy a spare set of manifolds ...

Sam has had these ones skimmed IIRC....

4 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Did you avoid tubular manifolds for a reason?

Cos Double S system he had was terrible.... 

1 minute ago, Bowie69 said:

Sam has had these ones skimmed IIRC....

Cos Double S system he had was terrible.... 

Double S are terrible. Sadly. But there are many others. A chat with Demand Engineering might be on the cards

Tubular manifolds would likely throw out more heat due to the bigger surface area surely?

I found a basic bit of bent aluminium U-clamped over the hotter spots of exhaust worked quite well, or a bit of foil-backed insulation.

The ambi has some foil-backed stuff under the seat box & trans tunnel, plus Wright off-road floor mats and you only really get engine heat soaking through if you're working it hard off-road at low speeds for a period of time.

The answer could be as simple as putting the fan on a switch so you can run it constantly when off-road to keep the air moving, the thermostat will stop it over-cooling.

On 9/24/2024 at 1:45 PM, Nonimouse said:

Double S are terrible. Sadly. But there are many others. A chat with Demand Engineering might be on the cards

I tried DE and many others, no one wanted to make manifolds and they asked £2-3k as motivation so I ruled that out and went back to cast ones. As the paint coating is already failing (had them blasted, painted and skimmed), perhaps I should revisit ceramic coating on just the manifolds and downpies.

I think my only option is to remove the centre box and run it with just the rear. If it is too ASBO-spec then I will revert, but perhaps the added flow will stop the heat accumulating.

Having spoken with JST and stood around it looking for a good long while, I/we/he had some ideas on how to duct heat away that are worth exploring.

On 9/29/2024 at 4:31 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Tubular manifolds would likely throw out more heat due to the bigger surface area surely?

I found a basic bit of bent aluminium U-clamped over the hotter spots of exhaust worked quite well, or a bit of foil-backed insulation.

The ambi has some foil-backed stuff under the seat box & trans tunnel, plus Wright off-road floor mats and you only really get engine heat soaking through if you're working it hard off-road at low speeds for a period of time.

The answer could be as simple as putting the fan on a switch so you can run it constantly when off-road to keep the air moving, the thermostat will stop it over-cooling.

I don't think so, because the flow is much better - however I've only done this with manifold wrap as well