VAG diesel into S3 (conversion spotted)

Happened across this on tinternet, thought it was bound to interest some folks who are that way inclined:

Relevant info:

It was pretty involved, but i went a bit overboard using a common rail motor with ecu. If you used a mechanical injection vw motor itd be a lot easier. As far as mounting and such goes it was easy. I used a jeep 5spd transmission which they make vw adapters for and from the jeep trans to land rover transfer case (advance adapters make an adapter for it). Since the motor is so much smaller than the rover motor you can use a larger 5spd trans and keep all the stock mounts still. Ony thing i had to fabricate was the engine mounts that bolt to the block. No modifications to the chassis were needed. It fits perfectly.

• Like 1

Using a VAG engine is not such a crazy idea - I've been mulling the idea over for some time, with VAGCOM diagnostics it goes a lonnnng way to helping sort the ECU/control side of these engines.

Indeed I'm sure in a small light 88 it's a great solution, it's just answering the question of how you join it all up which that thread does.

I still reckon the BMW M47 / TD4 from the Freelander 1 would make a great conversion for smaller/lighter trucks, good power and a VNT that gives great grunt from idle and they made millions of them.

• Like 1

Is that the engine that the YouTube chap ‘dirt lifestyle’ put into his jeep ? The one he used seemed very well suited to a TJ used on and off road.

In fact I seem to be seeing them put in quite a few things in the states - perhaps becoming a bit of a go-to engine swap choice?

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

Is that the engine that the YouTube chap ‘dirt lifestyle’ put into his jeep ? The one he used seemed very well suited to a TJ used on and off road.

In fact I seem to be seeing them put in quite a few things in the states - perhaps becoming a bit of a go-to engine swap choice?

They pay big bucks for a VW TDI in the US, as they are quite rare over there. But for us in the UK, these engines and their parts are pennies. I paid £150 for mine.

On 6/3/2024 at 12:06 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

It was pretty involved, but i went a bit overboard using a common rail motor with ecu. If you used a mechanical injection vw motor itd be a lot easier. As far as mounting and such goes it was easy. I used a jeep 5spd transmission which they make vw adapters for and from the jeep trans to land rover transfer case (advance adapters make an adapter for it). Since the motor is so much smaller than the rover motor you can use a larger 5spd trans and keep all the stock mounts still. Ony thing i had to fabricate was the engine mounts that bolt to the block. No modifications to the chassis were needed. It fits perfectly.

You can fit them on landrover boxes, like this one:

VW TD Engine swap into Series Rover (66rover.com)

I am aware of someone who did have one in a challenge buggy, coupled to an LT77.

The BMW has an inherent cam chain problem, but that is probably solved by now.

It could be interesting to have an M47, as I believe that has an aluminium block (Edit: BMW M47 = 172 kg).

The VW tdi is 150 kg though, (Edit: heaviest 1.9 is 297 pounds= 135kg, 2.0 is 350 pounds = 158kg) so not heavy for a land rover. 

Max factory power is 150 HP I believe, and some mental souls have taken them to 200HP.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Is that the engine that the YouTube chap ‘dirt lifestyle’ put into his jeep ?

No, I think Nate used a 1.9TDI, the above is a 2.0 which is all electronic, common rail etc.

• Like 1

Given this is an engine swap thread now, it seems only right to drop this one on here: 

The test drive is a bit of a non-event, but you get to see the engine in the second half.

20 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Given this is an engine swap thread now, it seems only right to drop this one on here: 

The test drive is a bit of a non-event, but you get to see the engine in the second half.

He crashed in a wheely bin when reversing. I am probably missing the point of this build; it is a bit of a waste of a 107" I'd say, but each to their own...

20 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

No, I think Nate used a 1.9TDI, the above is a 2.0 which is all electronic, common rail etc.

The 1.9 is best for reliability, especially pre-PD. There is not much in it in terms of power, and it all fits on the same bolt pattern, which is here:large.1708639453_VWpattern.png.e81a3990df9a554ed9fe66cf553113cd.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Daan said:

He crashed in a wheely bin when reversing. I am probably missing the point of this build; it is a bit of a waste of a 107" I'd say, but each to their own...

I think it's just a cool aero(almost) engined car, bit of a laugh.