300 Tdi Water Pump - Any good?

Hi Folks,

In the process of changing the 'P' gasket on our 300Tdi Defender.

Having a look at the water pump, it seems quite squeaky when turning by hand and not smooth. That said, there is no play. Attached is a video to hopefully help explain.

I'd be interested in peeps thoughts on the condition.

Many Thanks, 

Simon...

P.S. Also having to deal with a broken bolt that holds on housing to the main engine block. Oh the joy!

Anyone know a good brand?  They all seem to get squeaky very quickly, even if they’re serviceable.  The tensioner pulley is often misdiagnosed as the source of squealing - it’s usually the water pump.

As told, this is completely gone. It really wasn´t leaking?

On a car with timing belt or v-belt driven pumps, the effort for changing belts normaly is so high, that the pump should be changed then anyway, when changing belts.

On a 300 Tdi the pump is pretty cheap compared with this effort.

Edited by Sigi_H

There was some leaking hence the strip down.

Not sure whether the leaking was due to a failed P gasket or the pump. Both are (were) original (1997, 90 odd thousand mile). 

In any case, both will be replaced. 

The coolant of choice has been TRIPLE QX Blue Ready Mixed Antifreeze/Coolant 5Ltr - which is an ethylene glycol based anti-freeze as recommended - and been replaced religiously every two years.

Mine original fit one failed suddenly with no notice. My coolant level alarm kicked-in. It was leaking at the tell-tale hole underneath it. I replaced with a Pro Flow one and as it wasn't expensive I bought a spare. So far so good but I've probably done less than 1,000 miles since fitting.

This is what the seal looked like and it felt horrible when turning it.

image.thumb.jpeg.07321cfc8b597305184c962cd821e910.jpeg

IMG_2931.thumb.jpeg.3af3552e55367d10e37af2ebc9911c1b.jpeg

I coat the bolts with Duralac, and put copper grease on the threads. So far undoing has been easy, now on third pump, but I also keep a spare

• Like 3