Dash lights...

Have you checked the bulb for the difflock light? Swap it for another to see whether the problem moves. If the bulb functions correctly remove the centre seat box lid and cover to reveal the top of the transmission, look for the 2 electrical terminals on the rear of the hi-lo lever and ensure they are clean and connected

As for the preheat/glowplug light, what year is your vehicle? If the car is a 2.5td or was originally then the ignition switch fitted to those models only switches the glowplugs on when the key is turned, other later models such as 200tdi and 300tdi had a glowplug timer relay that would turn on the heater plugs for the required period of time before the light was extinguished and you could start the engine

Hope this helps

Lewis :)

is it possible to add a relay to a 2.5turbo so that the glow plug light would turn off after the recommended time? as in winter i have to hold the key for 25-30 seconds to be able to start and im not sure whether i am doing more damage than good.

is it possible to add a relay to a 2.5turbo so that the glow plug light would turn off after the recommended time? as in winter i have to hold the key for 25-30 seconds to be able to start and im not sure whether i am doing more damage than good.

You're not the only one, my 2.5NA needs a good 20-30 seconds to get going when the weather's carp. I've often wondered if it's doing more harm than good.

Mind she is due for a overhaul. <_<

Have you checked the bulb for the difflock light? Swap it for another to see whether the problem moves. If the bulb functions correctly remove the centre seat box lid and cover to reveal the top of the transmission, look for the 2 electrical terminals on the rear of the hi-lo lever and ensure they are clean and connected

That's a good reason not to get a cubby box instead of a seat - I bet it's a bugger to take out!!

You could add the heater plug loom from off of a 200tdi, i think there might be something about it in the technical archive IIRC. But what you are saying is fairly common with the 2.5 td and NA, try replacing the glowplugs (paddocks do them fairly cheap) and see if you get an improvement, otherwise just put up with it - my mate Si (rock_on_skeeter on here) has a TD with new glowplugs in and that still takes 10-15 seconds with plugs and 4-5seconds cranking to start, and even then it only runs on a couple of cylinders until you rev it. And that is an otherwise excellent example of a TD - it is about the smoothest and strongest I've seen :)

What you guys need is a nice V8 Petrol engine....

None of this waiting lark and it's got the added bonus of getting toasty warm too

Hmm, so warm you have to run electric fans as well as viscous, and you have to cut extra vents in the engine bay to keep it somewhere near cool?

Sounds great :lol:

I'll keep my diesels thanks ;)

Guest dew110CSW
You're not the only one, my 2.5NA needs a good 20-30 seconds to get going when the weather's carp. I've often wondered if it's doing more harm than good.

Mine takes about 10 seconds in good weather, took 2x 15 sec attempts when it was really frosty though. Quite proud of the old beast, my dads 51 reg van just refused point blank :)

Mine takes about 10 seconds in good weather, took 2x 15 sec attempts when it was really frosty though. Quite proud of the old beast, my dads 51 reg van just refused point blank :)

Yep it may take a bit of time getting there but at least the old 12/15/19J engines are dependable.

Yes the 19J as well... if well looked after that is :D

Guest dew110CSW

Indeed - All this b*tching about 19Js dieing, if you actually own one you know different. Mines done 130k miles now and still starts fine with NO smoke.