auto gearbox oil coolers.....

gelf

just spent a large amount of money on a close fitting winch bumper, to replace the one on mine which sticks out into the next county... :D .

anyway ive just removed my grill to have a look and just realized that because mine an auto, i have a rather large oil cooler which will be in the way.

can anyone suggest what size after market oil cooler i need and where to put it?..... and does it need a good flow of air? .... if so perhaps mount it flat close to the bonnet and have a small bonnet scoop above it?

all ideas welcome

thanks in advance.

graham

Is there any merit in just moving the one you have?

We have just had to do this on my brothers rangie. He replaced the existing solid pipes with flexible ones, and we moved the cooler up to the top of the rad rather than the bottom. This left enough room to fit a lowline winch (ep9).

If you were planning on fitting an 8274 or anoher highline winch, then it dosn't help much, but it's worth considering?

Cheers

Mark

You will need to get some flexible pipes made to replace the existing solid ones. We got them done to exactly the same length as the solids, and they are still too long as the flexy pipe takes a different route to the solid. I would probably be inclined to get them made a couple of inches shorter if I was to do it again, as it is a real pain trying to lose the length.

Cheers

Mark

i think your right and will move the existing one..........thanks

Hi, thats exactly what I did, 300 V8 Disco, cant exactly remember if I split it at a union or I cut the pipe and used a commpression fitting, but with a bit of careful measuring and a trip to my local hydraulic company got two flexy hydraulic pipes made to length and just lifted the existing cooler, cost about 80 quid for the pipes, been on a couple of years now and no problems.

just spent a large amount of money on a close fitting winch bumper, to replace the one on mine which sticks out into the next county... :D .

Which bumper did you get?

I've got a D44 Winch Bumper and steering guard on my Disco 300tdi auto AND aircon... fitted without problem and it is quite a close fit (compared to the other ones)

As Mark says ^^^^^^^ :i-m_so_happy: (Damn older brothers!! Always stealing the thunder!!!)

I would make one alteration to the set up I had made! The connections at the cooler ends of the pipe were both done with 45 deg. unions. The other ends were both straight connectors. The one that fits to the top of the rad was a RPITA to fit and get clear of the alternator, so a 45 deg. joint there would help you along nicely.

I got the pipes made up for £70 IIRC. They wanted 75 plus VAT, but turning up with the folding stuff works wonders with the blokes at my local hydraulic shop!

One thing Mark did forget to mention is that once the cooler is at the top of the rad, you may have to find alternate locations for the horns. We turned mine round to mount on the outside of the radiator shroud and with a little bit of creative metal-work (read as bending) got them to mount OK.

HTH

Adrian

PS....if you want some closer piccies, I can get some for you if you like.....

Random notes: the cooler only runs around 1bar of pressure - if you find a cooler with push on fittings they are happy to be termintated using good quality jubilee clips without leaking, gates hose is a lot cheaper than hydro per metre. the pipe length doesnt seem to cause any probs, I used to run one trans rad at the front and a secondary at the back plumbed in series and that worked well.

Random notes: the cooler only runs around 1bar of pressure - if you find a cooler with push on fittings they are happy to be termintated using good quality jubilee clips without leaking, gates hose is a lot cheaper than hydro per metre. the pipe length doesnt seem to cause any probs, I used to run one trans rad at the front and a secondary at the back plumbed in series and that worked well.

Jez, I've been told simerlar things - ZF boxes don't tend to have problems with long oil lines although TF727's can suffer from air locks. The other advantage of long oil lines is it gives you extra oil volume and, with an auto, the more the better.

• 1 month later...