Manual Front Hubs

Just out of curosity, is anyone using manual locking front hubs? Are they even available? Is it possible to reduce the wear and tear of every day driving on the the front diff? Or is it just air-lockers?

Any thoughts on this?

Just out of curosity, is anyone using manual locking front hubs? Are they even available? Is it possible to reduce the wear and tear of every day driving on the the front diff? Or is it just air-lockers?

Any thoughts on this?

Manual locking hubs - as in free wheeling hubs? On a Defender???

All 90 / 110 / Defenders are / were permanent four wheel drive (with the exception of a few very early 110's) - which means that free wheeling hubs would be redundant since unlocking them would leave you with no drive at all unless you then locked the centre diff - and then you'd still be driving the front axle anyway...

Matt

Not all were full permanent 4x4, some early ones had the series type of manual front hubs & part time 4x4 system, I've only ever seen 1 & that was in France a few years ago. no idea if freewheel hubs are still available,

leave it as the standard system, the wear/fuel rates aren't worth worrying about & 90/110 were designed to be permanent 4 wheel drive, changing this will affect the drive/handling.

I have a brand new pair of AVM Defender FWH's (for the early 110) they came as part of the 2WD kit for my LT230. Anyone want them? :unsure:

I think I'll take a pass on them :o , I'm sure we can be entertained by the person who does take them!