Tie bar ball joint part number

geoffbeaumont

Could Western, or someone else with a decent parts catalogue, confirm I'm looking at the right part...

I need to take the steering tie bar off the rangie ('93 V8 classic) to fit my Southdown axle guard - as the ball joint boots are both split I figure I'd best replace them rather than risk refitting them. Are they RTC5869? Got that from MM4x4's web site, so I'm not totally certain whether that's a land rover part number.

What about the clamps on the tie bar? Should I replace them, if so what's the part number (or will they come with the tie bar ends)?

Could Western, or someone else with a decent parts catalogue, confirm I'm looking at the right part...

I need to take the steering tie bar off the rangie ('93 V8 classic) to fit my Southdown axle guard - as the ball joint boots are both split I figure I'd best replace them rather than risk refitting them. Are they RTC5869? Got that from MM4x4's web site, so I'm not totally certain whether that's a land rover part number.

What about the clamps on the tie bar? Should I replace them, if so what's the part number (or will they come with the tie bar ends)?

RTC5869-rh thread ball joint

RTC5870-lh thread ball joint

Lemfroder ones are the genuine variety I get mine from Exeter4x4 relativley cheap, so I carry a spare set with me.

clamps are fine to re use, the ball joints are threaded left and right handed, when sat in the drivers seat the one on your right is the RH thread and Vice Versa, an easy way to remember which type for which side.

for the record the clamps are Part number: 577898

clamps are fine to re use, the ball joints are threaded left and right handed, when sat in the drivers seat the one on your right is the RH thread and Vice Versa, an easy way to remember which type for which side.

As long as the rod hasn't been put back on the wrong way around... :)

of course not accounting for stupidity ;)

It's a serious point though as there's nothing to stop it being put on the other way round and it would be somewhat aggravating to buy a RH thread one, get home, take it off and find some pillock had put it back on the other way around!

Err, I think (and I may be wrong, it has been known :P ) that the tie road (or track rod) has RH threads at both ends on the standard RR bar as the adjuster is built into the bar......

The first time I bought LH threads was when I fitted a Sumo bar that uses the TRE's for tracking.

Guest diesel_jim

I could be being thick here....(nothing new in that!).... but why should the RH threaded TRE be fitted to the RH side?

is there any kind of safety issue that would raise its ugly head with the LH threaded end on the RH side of the axle?

It's a serious point though as there's nothing to stop it being put on the other way round and it would be somewhat aggravating to buy a RH thread one, get home, take it off and find some pillock had put it back on the other way around!

Would that be possible without causing problems with the steering damper brackets?