heating/cooling woes!

Help!

On friday we went on a long journey (soton to Uttoxeter) to pick up some bits from Lewis, but just before setting off we noticed some water dripping, and it appeared to be coming from the heater box/unit. This was lunchtime, and the truck had already done 2 x 25 mile motorway tips with no problems/leaks. We set off, taking water with us just in case. Throughout the journey we had loads of moisture coming in, through the heater vents (heater turned right down), and steaming at one point.

On arrival at uttoxeter we checked the coolant (again) and it was right down in the expansion tank, so topped it up and got going. No water in top rad hose at this point, even after this long journey (300 miles ish).

30 mins later stopped and checked again - coolant had gone down, but top rad hose now arm, so kinda explained that.

Had to top it up twice more on journey home - but was always a bit left in expansion tank - never totally dry. overfilled slightly 2nd time, and when home in Eastleigh, it hadn't gone down much. The whole way back we had 'fogging/dampness through heater vents' issues. Was pouring down though.

So been playing with it all today, but puzzled now. Heater inlet in passenger wing was clogged and full of water (again - regular this one!) so drained it all out, and ran truck for a while and went for short journey. Coolant has gone down a bit again! No longer any obvious leaks from heater unit as there were before we left on Friday, so putting that down to water in heater intake, but puzzled about coolant. Misting/fogging issues seemed much better though! No obvious leaks anywhere. No 'mayonaise'; in oil filler.

So.......could heater matrix be leaking, but not be visible trickling out and down bulkhead? Do I have to take whole unit out to check? And can I just join 2 heater hoses together temporarilly to bypass heater?

Have had this before and it sorted itself out! So never got to bottom of it.

Anyone got any ideas/hints?

Its a 300tdi 110

Cheers

James

Help!

On friday we went on a long journey (soton to Uttoxeter) to pick up some bits from Lewis, but just before setting off we noticed some water dripping, and it appeared to be coming from the heater box/unit. This was lunchtime, and the truck had already done 2 x 25 mile motorway tips with no problems/leaks. We set off, taking water with us just in case. Throughout the journey we had loads of moisture coming in, through the heater vents (heater turned right down), and steaming at one point.

On arrival at uttoxeter we checked the coolant (again) and it was right down in the expansion tank, so topped it up and got going. No water in top rad hose at this point, even after this long journey (300 miles ish).

30 mins later stopped and checked again - coolant had gone down, but top rad hose now arm, so kinda explained that.

Had to top it up twice more on journey home - but was always a bit left in expansion tank - never totally dry. overfilled slightly 2nd time, and when home in Eastleigh, it hadn't gone down much. The whole way back we had 'fogging/dampness through heater vents' issues. Was pouring down though.

So been playing with it all today, but puzzled now. Heater inlet in passenger wing was clogged and full of water (again - regular this one!) so drained it all out, and ran truck for a while and went for short journey. Coolant has gone down a bit again! No longer any obvious leaks from heater unit as there were before we left on Friday, so putting that down to water in heater intake, but puzzled about coolant. Misting/fogging issues seemed much better though! No obvious leaks anywhere. No 'mayonaise'; in oil filler.

So.......could heater matrix be leaking, but not be visible trickling out and down bulkhead? Do I have to take whole unit out to check? And can I just join 2 heater hoses together temporarilly to bypass heater?

Have had this before and it sorted itself out! So never got to bottom of it.

Anyone got any ideas/hints?

Its a 300tdi 110

Cheers

James

Sounds like heater matrix has gone. Yes leak may not be visible down bulkhead and yes the entire heater box and air inlet trunking in wing needs to be removed to change the matrix. By pass it 1st with 15mm domestic plumbing fittings. If this then cures the coolant loss it confirms the matrix is at fault. If it has sprung a leak you should be able to "smell" it in the cab, hot coolant has a distinctive smell.

Another good one that Dave H had was the coolant bottle split, but it would only leak when under pressure (EG cap on & hot) as it bulged a bit and let water out, as soon as you investigated / checked the level of course the bottle was no longer under pressure and so didn't leak :rolleyes:

Does sound like the heater matrix in your case though.

If you have anti-freeze in your system, then a pressure (or vapour) leak will be identified by crystallisation of the anti-freeze where the leak is. There's a very good alternative to Rad Weld/Bars Leak called K-Seal. It leaves no sediment deposit in the cooling system, and can be left there to continue protection. You can bypass the heater matrix by joining the hoses as a means of isolating the problem if it is the matrix. A new matrix is around £40 and looks to be a bit of a swine to do. Condensation up the windscreen is usually an indicator of a leaking matrix.

http://www.k-seal.co.uk/k-seal.html

Les.

It is possible, but a little messy, to change the matrix without removing the whole heater.

Two spanner rating.

Fold bonnet back too windscreen(or remove).

Remove hoses, if you have not already bypassed.

Release the control cable on top.

Drill the poprivets out on the top of the box.

Carefully peel back the top. (carefully, as you need to fold it back down and seal it).

Jiggle the matrix out.

Reassembly is the reverse of removal ;)

It's a bodge, and will not be as good a repair as taking the whole lot out.

It's a long time since I done it, but time wise it certainly took less than an hour.

The whole way back we had 'fogging/dampness through heater vents' issues.

You didnt say any thing about the driving rain also making its way into the cab (and into my shoes). I did wonder why you brought full ocean going waterproofs with you for a trip up and down the motorway. :D

Next time we will take a nice warm dry disco even if that means towing a trailler.... :rolleyes:

you say you went for a "short journey" but to recreate what we were up to i think you would have needed to belt it up and down the m27 for a bit, also yesterday's weather was hardly ideal to be looking for water leaks :o Have a look today in the dry ...... my moneys on a heater matrix leak...

You didnt say any thing about the driving rain also making its way into the cab (and into my shoes). I did wonder why you brought full ocean going waterproofs with you for a trip up and down the motorway. :D

Next time we will take a nice warm dry disco even if that means towing a trailler.... :rolleyes:

you say you went for a "short journey" but to recreate what we were up to i think you would have needed to belt it up and down the m27 for a bit, also yesterday's weather was hardly ideal to be looking for water leaks :o Have a look today in the dry ...... my moneys on a heater matrix leak...

I did warn you it might leak on the passenger side!

And would have happilly gone in your disco - certainly more comfortable! But didn't fancy rolling around so much - you should consider stabilisers!

Anyway, I didn't spend much time on it yesterday as spent day unloading your roll cage!!!!!!! :P

Bypassed hoses with plumbing fittings this morning, and..................

No leaks (well, so far!). Will keep an eye on it for a day or two, then remove unit for closer inspection. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So this presumably means I can remove the heater unit/matrix and still use truck without it there, whilst I spend time sorting it?

Cheers

James

So this presumably means I can remove the heater unit/matrix and still use truck without it there, whilst I spend time sorting it?

removing the whole unit means you will loose your blower motor too, so carry a rag to clear the screen.

removing the whole unit means you will loose your blower motor too, so carry a rag to clear the screen.

Will do - carrying lots of rags already as it gets very wet and misty in there! Although I use one of those moisture absorber things behind the drivers seat and it works wonders. Scary how much moisture it takes out though!