Discs, pads, shockers....what should I buy?

Rustyrangie

Hi again all, yet another visit to the oracle of all things Rangie.

I'm slowly reaching the end of my chassis/sills/floor welding and my thoughts have turned to what else I could/should do before getting back on the road.

I'll be renewing all the rigid brake pipes as they all have a bit of rust so while the brake systems down it seems sensible to replace the brake discs & Pads plus the shockers (one's leaking anyway) but with what?

Prices seem to vary tremendously from dirt cheap to "how effin much?" so a bit of guidance as to what is sensible would be most welcome.

The Rangie will be my daily driver, occasional caravan tow truck with hopefully a bit of green laning and mild trialling thrown in. I intend to keep it at least 2 more years if that's any help.

Many thanks in advance.

Bob :huh:

Original equipment for the discs and pads would be my advice.

As for the solid brake pipes, you'll struggle to get some from a dealer without a "how f-in much??" price tag, so probably best to take the old ones off and take them somewhere to get some made up. There is a thread in the Tech archive about how to do your own if you are feeling adventurous.

Shocks - original would be my advice too, unless you are uprating springs, too.

If you are spending most of your time on road then go for gas shocks. They make a big difference to handling.

If you can stretch to it, look at Bilsteins. I have them on my Rangie and rate them highly - they must be 7 or 8 years old by now and still going strong.

If you are spending most of your time on road then go for gas shocks. They make a big difference to handling.

If you can stretch to it, look at Bilsteins. I have them on my Rangie and rate them highly - they must be 7 or 8 years old by now and still going strong.

Agreed with Bish... Gas shocks made a massive difference. I've got Delphi Decarbons on mine. Been on there for about 3 years now... mind you, the truck has been off the road for the last 2 of those years so they are probably rusted solid by now!! :lol:

I got my Bilsteins from MM4x4 for 37 quid each.

Won't deal with Paddock

Thanks Deano,

hadn't heard of MM4X4. Looks a good firm, I've bookmarked them for a thorough search and spend tomorrow when SWMBO is at work he he!

Who needs to eat when there's a poorly Rangie in the garage?

:lol:

Thanks Deano,

hadn't heard of MM4X4. Looks a good firm, I've bookmarked them for a thorough search and spend tomorrow when SWMBO is at work he he!

Who needs to eat when there's a poorly Rangie in the garage?

:lol:

MM4x4 often seem to have deals on gas shocks, if you're happy to just go with what they're doing cheap at the time. Rangie has DeCarbons on the back, disco pro-comps on the front for exactly that reason...

I put standard shocks on the front of the rangie, but I wish I'd spent the extra for gas ones. I'm with Bish on this one too - the gas shocks are noticeably better on the road. Don't think you can really tell the difference off it, at least not for the sort of stuff I do.

Would agree with Genuine brake bits. I bought some rear shoes from Paddocks and was too scared to fit them. Not that I am an expert in these things, but they looked like very cheap castings with pad material glued to them (with overspill glue everywhere). Call me old fashioned, but I do like a few rivets holding my pads on.

I bought Monroes for my 110 and even though I haven't gone very far yet, she does seem a lot more solid.