Bob, tray or pick up

gelf

Really love my disco but the rear floor is shot as is the rear cross member..........

so i think time has come for a little surgery..... bobtails look great but alot of work........ traybacks, not really seen one that looks right yet... or make it into a pick up.... think ive seen an orange one somewhere in the "out there" section.

but i need some more piccies to make my mind up.

any advice?? :rolleyes:

Really love my disco but the rear floor is shot as is the rear cross member..........

so i think time has come for a little surgery..... bobtails look great but alot of work........ traybacks, not really seen one that looks right yet... or make it into a pick up.... think ive seen an orange one somewhere in the "out there" section.

Good evening Gelf.......

Rot was a very good reason for me to start my project recently..

I liked the bobtail idea as it still would give storage,but in my case the tin worm was too extensive so I did this:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...st&p=136268

I have pic's of the orange pickup taken at one of Jst's events, can email it ,let me know...

Lawrence

• 3 months later...

Hi Gelf..

Made your mind up yet? :unsure:

if not go for a tray back B) great fun with easy vision

Lawrence

really think it'll be a pick up more than a trayback.......just waiting for a college student near to bring his round, so i can garb some tips....... :unsure:

this one isnt his but i want to acheive something similar........ like yours uses the rear door.

Fugly2.jpg

really think it'll be a pick up more than a trayback.......just waiting for a college student near to bring his round, so i can garb some tips....... :unsure:

this one isnt his but i want to acheive something similar........ like yours uses the rear door.

Fugly2.jpg

Very nice looking,

but oohhh to much panel work to dent for me :D

I tend to find it is the rear that is more likely to connect with trees as is more out of vision

as when strapped in :rolleyes: you are more restricted and I keep my mirrors tucked in.

where did you find the pic? would like to see more if poss...to see how much of rear door was reused

keep us all posted on your remodeling

Lawrence

I will be doing some mods to mine starting in sept. I was going to be a trayback, but like the idea of a pickup- i saw one of in orange on a forum and cant find it now, anyone know where it is, It looks like the cheviot 4x4 one.

Guest Matrix
Matrix - why on earth would you cut the "tub" off a disco and graft on a bit of old 90? Surely leaving the Disco back end is going to look far smarter?

It was just the look I was after and mine is a 5 door so not as easy to achieve the pickup look. It was never going to get done anyway as I dont have the skills required ;)

wish there was cos thats what i wanna do............... you crack on with it and let me know how you get on.....lol

before deciding........ check the extent of your tin worm , rear floor / chassis mounts / outrigger mounts / sills arches.....

all these make a huge difference to what you can do :o

i really am nowing thinking of a pickup disco now, going to make it out of a 5 door, and get some 3 door panels to make the rear panel set up. I know pikey farmer, used a triumph spitfire fuel tank, but what fuel pump/sender do u require if u use this tank?

It doesn't matter what tank you use so long as it has a flow and return pipe. I just connected the existing pipes to the ones on the tank and off to go. Obviously not as good as that fitted to the Disco tank which has provision for running at extreme angle but it works fine- just keep the tank topped up. Sender is a simple 2 wire affair which I intend to run to a smiths fuel gauge one day if I get a round tuit.