A dashboard theory..... what do forum memebers think....

Guest MJG

As some of you know my newly aquired Series III came with a state of the art aesthetically outstanding Dash by La Salle. These are clearly exlusive ;) as I have never ever seen one anywhere else anywhere...... B)

Haven't got around to ripping it out as yet as spent this weekends 'Landy time' sorting out the misfire out.

Below is a picture of the offending article in all it's resplendant glory. Those of a nervous disposition and small children should look away.

Given I do not think anyone in their right mind would rip out a series III dash and fit this carbuncle my theory is (and if folks think I am talking rubbish please say so) that in a fomer life my Landy was military spec. and was never fit with a dash and this was fit to 'improve' the cab. This theory is based on Military Series III's only being fit with a basic non padded type dash.

If you look at the panel the gauges/switches are in it looks as if it would reside on it's own in a basic military style dash. Or were Series III military spec Landy's fitted with the same spec dash as civvy one's ??? and thus I am talking rubbish????

Views appreciated.

post-174-1175451831_thumb.jpg

Military SIII's were the same inside as civvy ones. Someone appears to have gone to a lot of trouble to fit that into there...

Other ways to check your motor would be to look at the rear cross member on chassis - if it has square ends then it is ex-mil, otherwise if it tapers up towards the ends, then it is most likely civvy.

The other obvious bits are the light fittings, but if someone has gone to that much effort to change the dash, it is quite possible the light fittings have been changed too...

Mark

Other ways to check your motor would be to look at the rear cross member on chassis - if it has square ends then it is ex-mil, otherwise if it tapers up towards the ends, then it is most likely civvy.

Mark

Now funny you should say that but I only noticed today that the rear cross member has square ends but didn't really think a lot about it. Hadn't really noticed before as the cross memenber has some rather natty 'bumperettes' fitted which cover the ends so you cant really see untill you look closely.

Guess that makes it ex military then. But if they had the same padded dash as civvy ones that wouldn't explain why this replacement one had been fitted.

I do like the simple look of the S11 dash too - might see if I can replicate that when I get around to ditching it.

Edited to add - you are spot on Mark/Western - just found a military one the same year as mine (1975) on eBay:-

http://tinyurl.com/2zlefu

And the pics indeed confirm the same padded dash is fitted as fit to civvy versions. Thanks for the info.

do you think it would look better if you sprayed it black? Or does it truly look dreadful?

I think dreadful is an understatment - I thought about painting it but I think the problem is the bulk and size of the thing making the cabin feelling a bit 'closed in'.

i must be the odd one out , i think it looks ''alright '' :unsure:

dont like the colour though , paint it black as suggested and i dont think it would look too bad ,

all series /defender cabs feel cramped if your over 5'3" any how :D:rolleyes: