questions from newbie

Jack

I have a 1981 2 door RR with a 3 speed auto in Sydney, Australia

Q: What model transfer case comes with this model. I think it is a LT230 but a local " expert" doubts this.

Q: The transfer case breather drips oil so I plugged it. Any problems with this?

Q: What problem will I have if I go LPG/ petrol on this 2 carb engine?

Thanks

I have a 1981 2 door RR with a 3 speed auto in Sydney, Australia

Q: What model transfer case comes with this model. I think it is a LT230 but a local " expert" doubts this.

Q: The transfer case breather drips oil so I plugged it. Any problems with this?

Thanks

Hey Jack, i have a 84 with twin carbs and have know problems running LPG / petrol. The system i have is Zavoli from italy but i think there are better ones avalible. :D

1) Check the Ashcrofts website for serial numbers and stuff that will help you identify your transfer case. I think all the 3-speeds had 1.003:1 ratio LT230's that are actually nicer design than the later types - better bearings etc. (I have one on the 109, most parts are NOT interchangeable with later LT230's - ask me how I know :rolleyes: )

2) Yes, the breather is there for a reason. :P if excessive oil is coming out then you may have an issue, if it's the odd drip then that's probably normal and is designed to stop the chassis rusting ;)

3) You may need to tweak the timing - some people run a compromise of "half way" between the ideal for gas and ideal for petrol, others run with the correct timing for gas and accept rough running on petrol - depends how much time you'll spend on each. Personally I'd fit MS'n'EDIS and have switchable timing maps B)

2) Yes, the breather is there for a reason. :P if excessive oil is coming out then you may have an issue, if it's the odd drip then that's probably normal and is designed to stop the chassis rusting ;)

So thats why all land rover products leak :huh::D

• 4 weeks later...

So thats why all land rover products leak :huh::D

OK It is an LT230R serial number begins with 14D.

Fixed breather problem

Oil level way too high caused by me overfilling by using wrong hole. Seems that I used the hole that has a temp sensor in other markets.

News to me. Have now got work shop manual and know where the filler hole is.

Lots of oil poured out today. Breather tube now happy.

Ckecking for rust. So far so good. Ordered new carpet today. Need to find where water is coming in during rain before installing new carpet.

LPG conversion quote is twice what I paid for the RR. Jury is still out on this one.

Thanks

Jack

Ckecking for rust. So far so good. Ordered new carpet today. Need to find where water is coming in during rain before installing new carpet.

As said above - bulkhead grommets on my 90RRC are all over the place - some missing, some just shot.

Also the sun-roof has a steel gutter designed to catch water and channel it to the aforementioned drain tubes - on mine this has rusted through at the corners.

Also anything below knee level (when sitting in it) may have corrosion. The further from the centreline it is the more likely it is to be teabagged. (the anti-rust oil leak thing really does work :D )

Welcome to the world of Range Rover ownership :)

Roger

Where are you getting water collecting?

The places I've had it coming in are around door seals and along wiring looms through the bulkhead (I think...current theory on my own leak...).

No sunroof!

Seems to be coming in via the bonnet release cable / grommet thru the firewall. Simple to repair and restest. Will keep you posted.

Am taking all sets out too to do rust check / fix and install new soundproofing and carpet. Will post pix of process. Such Fun!!

These vehicles are like big Mechano sets.

Jack

your transfer box will be a 1.003:1 as fridge says- they seem plenty strong enough; i know of at least one person putting over 500bhp through his

More infoo.. I have a vacuum diff lock mechanism on this xfer box.

RR people here reckon that in 1981 Ritters were doing conversions using a Ford 3 speed auto and a cutdown LT95.

There is also a large brass hex plug on the LHS about halfway up the case.

Now I need to clean the thing to find serial numbers.....

Any ideas?

Jack