black paint......problems

gelf

thought it would be a good idea to paint the discovery black (synthetic)....... looked great when i first did it.

since then i went playing in a quarry and left the paint work dirty for over a week...... now ive just washed it it looks awful!

lots of stains etc where the mud was......... also a git to wash because if you dont rinse the panel straight away the soap suds also leave a mess.

dont paint a landy black..... :angry:

I did exactly the same with mine when I rebuilt it about 5 years ago. Had a lovely respray in mica black, took it to a Breckland LRC meeting the first day I'd had it, when I jet washed it a few days later you could see the exact pattern of where all the mud had been. Looked terrible! :o

I'm now gearing up to do a minor rebuild again, this time it'll be a sensible colour, something individual, like green :lol:

Brett

I did exactly the same with mine when I rebuilt it about 5 years ago. Had a lovely respray in mica black, took it to a Breckland LRC meeting the first day I'd had it, when I jet washed it a few days later you could see the exact pattern of where all the mud had been. Looked terrible! :o

Brett

Note to self: I must remember to mention our special super-staining mud in the Club magazine ... :rolleyes:

I must admit the 101's nato green still has some sand stain from the last East Anglian Off Road Show ...

Another note to self: must remember to waterproof 101 electrics before going this year!

AndyG

black's a pain to maintain....

even on a new motor from the dealer, it looks great for about 24 hours then it seems to magnify all the dust, grit etc so it looks tatty. Had a couple of black cars, look great when just washed, but thats about it.....

Lighter colours are better at hiding the dings on spray your own stuff, as Les said, laquer is worth the effort, although with Cellulose I preferred it without on bright colours.

Synthetic always went really dull after a year or two and stained really easily in my experience, then again, that could be due to my carp application of it......... :D :D

Jas

Metallic gold is probably the best colour for hiding day to day muck. Looks cr*p all the time whether clean or dirty, but I guess that is the price to pay :rolleyes:

SHHHHHHhhhhhh......don't say that!! :blink: :blink:

Some people pay a fortune for a certain gold expedition defender :D :D

Guest dew110CSW
SHHHHHHhhhhhh......don't say that!! :blink: :blink:

Some people pay a fortune for a certain gold expedition defender :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That STILL not sold? Dammit that's been on sale for as long as I've been In Landie Circles :lol:

Well, thats me put off spraying mine matt black then lol

Russ

Black looks great on limo's....... :ph34r: not very practicle for mud.

there are a lot of silver merc's about and they seem to look clean even after rain :glare:

would love to have my disco met'c Blue but again not practicle. So will leave it green for now

but white does sound to be both practicle and Good looking

IMHO

Lawrence