Fixing 2002 style dash

I have, and it's a bit of a pain.

The only parts you really need are the centre console (where the switches live) and the dash tray (which the centre console fits to).

I've had to remove my vent handles, but it's not much of a hardship.

The dash tray fits in fairly easily, but you might need to be a bit inventive with some screws to hold it in place. The dash top needs to come off no matter what.

The centre console also fits in nicely, but to hold it in place you need some screws down through the top and into the dash tray, and some lock self tappers through the two lower holes and into some holes in the old lower dash.

It's much more functional and better looking, but you might find that the factory switches are a bit of a pain, in as much as they're very expensive and hard to wire up. I covered mine with a sheet of carefully folded aluminum and cut holes for the stereo, a load of ARB style switches and (soon) some more guages.

DSC00636.jpg

If you just want the hardware to make your radio/switch install look tidy then I suggest you bribe Si for more photos of his - it's a very tidy install.

Simon - do you have a feel for which parts are necessary (and which can be replaced by self-tappers!) and what the whole thing cost? It'd make a lovely mounting place for my radio and EGT unit.

It will cost about £70-90 bepends on how well you get on with the parts department (when I ask for somthing now they ask what was if off originaly) :):)

You only need the tray,fram and face panel. all the clips they give are carp.

Some bloke was selling them for £200+ on Ebay how I don't know

I fitted mine when the dash first came out in 2002.

You do need to cut your dash and work out a way of retaining the face panel though.

• 2 weeks later...

Si,

i don't suppose you have the part numbers for the bits you ordered do you?

looking at Microcat it look like you only need the complete replacement dash bit that runs from pass door upto instrument binacle, and the vent trim that goes aroudn where the handles would have been.

Can you remember what you paid for it?

i would also go for the solid sheet over the front similar to yours.

It's much more functional and better looking, but you might find that the factory switches are a bit of a pain, in as much as they're very expensive and hard to wire up. I covered mine with a sheet of carefully folded aluminum and cut holes for the stereo, a load of ARB style switches and (soon) some more guages.

DSC00636.jpg

Very sharp looking with the Ali covering it. Nice sticker above it to. :lol:

I bought everything the Main Dealer suggested (basically everything on the Microcat page) as I didn't want to strip the old dash out, just to discover some fiddly little thing was missing.

The only parts you NEED are;

Big black dash tray that runs from the passenger window to the left hand edge of the instrument binnacle

Silver (or black) switch housing (holds switches and stereo)

Stereo housing (clips onto switch housing

In order to do this install properly you would need to replace the steel lining behind the dash for the TD5 job - this would allow the pukka bulkhead flap handles to be used (old style ones don't fit) and allow the dash tray to screw in properly.

I have kept the old steel lining and binned the bulkhead vents - it's not too much of a pain, and something I might get round to doing eventually.

In terms of attachment, I've used a couple of gert self tapping screws through the factory holes in the dash carrier and into the lower dash panel. The top is held in place by the top dash rail.

The switch housing is held on to the dash carrier by two self tapping screws at the top, through two tabs in the switch panel and into two captive nuts (clip-on type) attached to the top edge of the dash carrier.

The lower edge of the switch panel is attached to the dash tray by two long self tappers which go through the dash tray and into two holes drilled into the lower dash panel.

The job is fairly straightforward and gives a nice improvement over the old system.

The ali panel was bent by a local CNC sheetmetal firm, as I'd given up with the TD5 switches.

Total cost of the project was about £150 (which included a big pile of bits of LR junk I didn't need!)

Si

Si,

cheers for the info. i may look into something similar to this in that i was thinking of making up a front facia the same as yours, and then making some sides to attch to the front and just mounting that straight onto the existin g dash. i would cut away the block at the bottom so i can get my stereo in, in the same place as yours, then mount the CB above that. room for swithces and dials further up.

it would have a removable front cover for easy access, similar to yours. not quite sure how to join the front to the sides with out big bolts etc. and want a neat fit.

How far does the front face of your protrude out from the original dash tray leading edge?

still in the development this one i think.