100" Range Rover Hybrid

Dunc

Hi everyone,

Just 'testing the water' a bit...

Had a look in the tech archive, but couldn't see what i wanted so it's posted in here!

My RR increasingly needs body patches; floor, sills, 'C' pillar etc etc and i'm all too aware that this will reach the point where i can't keep up with it.

I like the idea of building a hybrid from it because the chassis is good, the axles have been replaced and the engine/gearbox is good.

I reckon i've got a couple of MOT's left in it before i can't keep up with the welding, which is time i can use to amass body panels and parts for plonking a Defender type body on my Rangey chassis.

The other thing that makes me hesitate is that for what it costs i could probably get a 110. I sold my 200Tdi for £3850 last year.

:unsure:

I bought Tony Parrots book on hybrids and it wasn't much use. Mark Evans building his 4x4 is regularly on my dvd player but you can't base chopping up your daily driver on a tv programme!

I know a lot of the bits i'd need, but i'm not sure about alignment of bulkhead and rear crossmember particularly. I guess rear bulkhead and where the wheelarch go would be a pain too.

Read Les Brock's thread on his 88" build and SVA test. I'd rather keep my original plate and ID. Is it not possible with a Hybrid? After all, i'm only changing the body panels effectively, chassis and all mechanicals will be the same.

Any help gratefully received. :)

Corrode_Finger's 100" is a good example of how to build a hybrid form a RR with as little hacking about as possible, I think he's even kept the ABS and air-con :blink: look in the member's vehicles section.

Buying a 110 with a rusty chassis but sound body is a good way to get the maximum donor components, it's not the big bits that are the trouble but fiddly little brackets, mounts and fixings that all add up.

Just choose a different colour when you paint it :lol:

Dear God, i see what you mean about the colour! :o

Looks fantastic though in fairness. Impressive timescale too.

I've been checking out some panels and found;

New O.E. bulkhead - £184

110 rear tub - £150

110 hard top - £50

Seat box - £100

On the face of it, that's pretty cheap. ;)

Buying a 110 with knackered chassis is a good plan though. Going to search the net a bit tonight to have a looksee at prices.

Oh, by the way, i reckon i'd go for Tangiers Orange on mine. :D:wub:

Dave whatshisname

That'll be "Lang" then.

That one is almost exactly what i'm going to build.

I'd fortgotten about the build thread on it, but on reading through i thought it looked familiar and once i spotted my posts i realised why...

;)

Glad to see the Rangey seats fit. Mine are sooooo comfy. :D

Checked out the more pics version on ORRP too. Well, rude not to register whilst i was there... B)

Corrode_Finger's 100" is a good example of how to build a hybrid form a RR with as little hacking about as possible, I think he's even kept the ABS and air-con :blink: look in the member's vehicles section.

Just choose a different colour when you paint it :lol:

Didn't quite keep the air con but have kept the ABS!!

Damn right choose another colour, i got that paint cos it had never been sold before by the paint factor!! :ph34r:

Damn right choose another colour, i got that paint cos it had never been sold before by the paint factor!! :ph34r:

that and it catered to your boy racer urges - can pretend your driving round in a blinged up saxo with drainpipe exhaust now, just needs a hoofing great wing on the back

that and it catered to your boy racer urges - can pretend your driving round in a blinged up saxo with drainpipe exhaust now, just needs a hoofing great wing on the back

Boy racer urges??? :angry:

I have not tinted the windows or fitted the silly stereo yet?

As for the exhaust, thats a refined stainless item that purrs like a kitten!! :P

Boy racer urges??? :angry:

I have not tinted the windows or fitted the silly stereo yet?

As for the exhaust, thats a refined stainless item that purrs like a kitten!! :P

That's enough to head me off into dreamland;

Paint, V8, 100", crushing Novas... :)

That's enough to head me off into dreamland;

Paint, V8, 100", crushing Novas... :)

Not that i bully other road users but it has got a lot of respect out on the road from boyracers!

Not sure if thats the subdued :lol: colour or the large box section front bumper! :blink:

If you are thinking about it, decide exactely what you want before starting and go for it.

I wanted(read needed) the kingcab as i am built for comfort, not speed, also i wanted the full chassis length to make the truck useable.

I think that it has turned out quite well, it looks well proportioned in the flesh.

And the lift out roof panel was the only deviation from the original idea, kinda evolved as a interesting solution to filling the extended roof.

If you want any other info, feel free to pm. Cant promise the answers but will try to help.

Also, if it gets sorted by the club, it will hopefully be at Eastnor on the Shires stand, which is close to you!

If you want any other info, feel free to pm. Cant promise the answers but will try to help.

Also, if it gets sorted by the club, it will hopefully be at Eastnor on the Shires stand, which is close to you!

Thanks Dude, much obliged.

I've been offered a complete 110 which would be good for donor parts.

I want a full roof so i can get the dogs in the back, and it will also have to be our daily vehicle.

The wife has agreed to the Tangiers Orange too. :)

Maybe you should pick up a whole hybrid for, let's say £200 — includes tax free chassis [you would need to put an 'original' body on it to avoid SVA under the new regulations though, + it needs welding work] + fully working Lpg system + spare engine + running gear in good working order

all the fittings etc you would need to attach to a 100" chassis are there,

bodywork isn't fantastically neat around the front wings although it's a start — you would need to pick it up from the South of France though — the weather's nice incidentally!

cheers

post-45-1177913968_thumb.jpg

Maybe you should pick up a whole hybrid for, let's say £200 — includes tax free chassis [you would need to put an 'original' body on it to avoid SVA under the new regulations though, + it needs welding work] + fully working Lpg system + spare engine + running gear in good working order

all the fittings etc you would need to attach to a 100" chassis are there,

bodywork isn't fantastically neat around the front wings although it's a start — you would need to pick it up from the South of France though — the weather's nice incidentally!

cheers

You're just trying to get me into trouble! ;)

Thanks, but if i do one it'll be with my Rangey otherwise i'll just get a 110.

Interestingly though, the 'Q' platers are becuase of the 'new' regulations. What's to stop me building one and putting my normal numberplate on it and simply saying i built it before the regs came into force?

:blink:

You can put what ever type body on you want....as long as you don't modify the chassis in any way to do it :blink:

Built mine before it came in...but I still had to do it, had the recipts, insurance papers proving it was insured as a Hybrid since the late 90's....did it make any difference.....err.....no <_<

Once they get there teeth in they don't let go :rolleyes:

You can put what ever type body on you want....as long as you don't modify the chassis in any way to do it :blink:

Built mine before it came in...but I still had to do it, had the recipts, insurance papers proving it was insured as a Hybrid since the late 90's....did it make any difference.....err.....no <_<

In MA (USA) I registered my hybrid as a 1971 IIA like it always was. The numbers are the same and it looks like not one person cares that it now has an 84" wb and 3.9 V8. In fact I kept up the registration the year or so it took me to build it. I simply told the inspection station I changed the engine and they updated that info on the paperwork.

Paul

Bugger! :angry:

Still, as long as they don't mess about too much at the SVA i suppose you know you're 100% legit with a 'Q'.

Was it difficult to insure once on a 'Q' plate?

If you repair a chassis, is it modified?

All i'm thinking is, if i do a rear crossmember 'repair' then i haven't really modified it, have i?

Daresay most of you guys (who've had a lot more experience than me) have tried most of the things i'm thinking of!

The way it was explained to me....when trying to talk my way out of having it done with just about every bloke at VOSA was.....

If you replace a part of a chassis with a like for like replacement like a crossmember/outrigger of the same design that is fine

and the bit thats upsets everyone :lol:

If you, lengthen/shorten/bobtail/trayback/custom crossmember/fit new body type that requires new outriggers etc, its a SVA

If you was to built it as a kit car, but the body uses all the same mounting points there is no problem !

The DVLA will list whatever you put on the V5 within reason,The MOT man will not care as long as it will pass, neither will your insurance company all there interested in is the list of Modifications.....Until you god forsake have an accident, it is the drivers resposibility to ensure that it complies with construction and use and type approval

VOSA will also expect it to comply with construction and use and its "original" type approval, all ok till it goes t*ts up as it was explained to me in no uncertain terms

The choice as they say is down to the driver :ph34r:

The way it was explained to me....when trying to talk my way out of having it done with just about every bloke at VOSA was.....

If you replace a part of a chassis with a like for like replacement like a crossmember/outrigger of the same design that is fine

and the bit thats upsets everyone :lol:

If you, lengthen/shorten/bobtail/trayback/custom crossmember/fit new body type that requires new outriggers etc, its a SVA

If you was to built it as a kit car, but the body uses all the same mounting points there is no problem !

The DVLA will list whatever you put on the V5 within reason,The MOT man will not care as long as it will pass,

VOSA however will expect it to comply with construction and use and its "original" type approval, all ok till it goes t*ts up as it was explained to me in no uncertain terms

The choice as they say is down to the driver :ph34r:

Dammit you had to bring morality into play didn't you :(

Guess i'll have to do it properly when the time comes.

I wonder just how many bobs are out there that have been?

Not many i bet.

None I reckon and who can blame them. The SVA is a right royal rip off as with most theings you are forced to comply with.

Interesting thread though guys, well done.

Interesting thread though guys, well done.

Thanks Gaffer :D

It's not helping me with either my decision to cut it up OR how to measure for the bulkheads if i do though!

:ph34r:

sorry fridge, technically the 109 would need SVA as multiple donor vehicles (different engine and non-land rover axles) and chassis mods and would be pretty certain that the statement "radically altered" would apply

at least that's the way i read the guidelines