Best place to get a deep cycle battery from?

mike4444244

Hi

I had a leisure battery fitted as a second batt in my 110, it was a bosch 75ah one that i used for low drain things like int lights, cb, stereo etc. its now died and i need to replace it, however I have just fitted a husky so i need to upgrade it to, i have an x-charge fitted.

Question is.... what battery to fit? i have searched to forum but the general consensus seems to be either fit another 'main' battery and run in parallel, or get a specific (read expensive) winch battery like a optima yellow top? Not to keen on parallel batts as i like to keep the things i use when camping separate from the main batt. I do have a cut off switch that i use to join batts in parallel in emergency tho...

Cost is a fairly big issue as i'm also funding me motorbike lessons! i have a costco card so bosch silver tops are very cheap :)

Over to you guys

Ta

Mike

A normal leisure battery will not be designed for the high current draw of the winch, you will need either a "normal" starting/running type battery or a sexercisey deep cycle one.

I do wonder how worthwhile the deep-cycle ones are though - most things (stereo, CB to name some from your list) won't like working on a flat battery and as the voltage drops the winch motor generates exponentially more heat, better IMHO to just fit a boring non-bling battery and save a few £££. I just bought the biggest thing that will fit under the seat for the 109, got a Vartra something or other, it cost a lot less than an Optima and has about 30% more capacity :D but of course it's not extreme :rolleyes:

I have Odyssey fitted. A 2250 (126ah) (1225CCA) for starting and winching backed up by a 2150 (100ah)

(1090CCA) for leisure use. They can be linked using a 300A VSR (voltage sensitive relay) allowing 300 DC amp continuous, 400 DC amp itermittent and 1250 DC amp cranking for 15 seconds.

Loads of grunt and reserves when required.

John

Proper deep cycle batteries like the Optima are seriously expensive for a reason.

A "normal" car battery can withstand approximately 3 deep cycles (full discharge) depending on quality. A deep cycle battery is around 150 deep cycles.

If you are going to run the second battery flat then a normal battery is no use (unless you take it back under warranty!), although if you limit the discharge to 50% then it will probably be fine.

My point about deep cycles was that although the battery is built to take it, the rest of the vehicle isn't - nothing on your truck will be happy/useful with the battery flattened, running the winch down to half a volt just roasts the motor. Unless you're going for broke in a winch challenge IMHO it's not the way to do it - stop and let the battery/winch/wiring recover for a couple of minutes.

Or fit a hydro/pto winch :ph34r: