Def 90 tail gate ?

Hello,

I am considering changing over to canvas for the summer and I wonder which is a better option drop down or side opening.

Now that I am asking I must look see how the drop down is hinged on the body. presumably i need the other half of the hinge fitted to the body.

Does the side opening one just attact to the existing hinges.

your advice please

ta

RW

Drop down, you will need the hinge brackets that bolt on to the crossmember, as well as the top catches on the tub.

Side opening can use existing hinges and lock/handle. You'd need to modify a drop down tailgate for side opening, or cut down a rear door.

Here's a few pics of my side opening tailgate.....

red84.jpg

red83.jpg

red82.jpg

red81.jpg

Side opening is rarer and makes it easier to load stuff in the rear bed, but a drop down tailgate is great to sit on (like a Range Rover). It also extends the load bay if you have something long to put in it. We often move clay pigeon traps which are mounted on fairly large frames and they are longer than a 90/Series load bay so leaving the tailgate down allows them to half sit on it.

Has side opening tailgate ever been available from landrover?

I changed mine because I found it a right pain in the arse reaching across the tailgate to access the rear tub.

Very easy to do.Mine just has a tailgate latch and padlock on it.

gallery_1618_185_34058.jpg

Has side opening tailgate ever been available from landrover?

I changed mine because I found it a right pain in the arse reaching across the tailgate to access the rear tub.

Very easy to do.Mine just has a tailgate latch and padlock on it.

gallery_1618_185_34058.jpg

Weren't NAS 90's side opening tailgates?

Side-hinged tailgates have been available from LR for many many years but they may have been for specific models and/or markets and therefore not very common in the UK.

I have had a side-hinged version on my 90 for about 7-years and it is very useful, it is attached to a swingaway spare-wheel carrier and is a very tidy set-up. Once in a blue moon however I want to carry something slightly longer than usual and I have to remove the carrier & tailgate to make space, not a problem as it all comes apart in less than 30-mins but for that occasional trip I wish I had the drop down type.

The hinges on the side-hinged model match those of a full height door so you can swop between the two very quickly and like I said, the swing-away carrier works very well.

• 1 year later...
Side-hinged tailgates have been available from LR for many many years but they may have been for specific models and/or markets and therefore not very common in the UK.

I have had a side-hinged version on my 90 for about 7-years and it is very useful, it is attached to a swingaway spare-wheel carrier and is a very tidy set-up. Once in a blue moon however I want to carry something slightly longer than usual and I have to remove the carrier & tailgate to make space, not a problem as it all comes apart in less than 30-mins but for that occasional trip I wish I had the drop down type.

The hinges on the side-hinged model match those of a full height door so you can swop between the two very quickly and like I said, the swing-away carrier works very well.

Im makeing one out of a defender rear door i had left over from converting from hard top to truck cab. This will mean i can lock the tailgate and with an alloy load cover on will be able to stop things going walkies

made mine from the drop down tailgate, used the existing latch to keep it shut and a couple of back door hinges, works a treat. figured it was not worth putting a lock on as it is a canvas and can steal anything from the back with the slash of a knife anyway!!

easy to do and works really well