removing your steering wheel...

jjojjas

odd question I know, but I'm away in the defender for 2-weeks and I'm parking on a road away from the house. Got the usual immob & mechanical locks etc, but I was just fiddling on with the defender tonight and had the steering wheel off then I thought.... if I'm leaving it on a road for a few days I'll take the steering wheel with me to the house...

what you reckon? Worth the hassle or just wasting my time? :lol:

ps. it takes about 60 seconds to remove on mine.

Jas

hmmm... was thinking of putting a fuel cut of switch somewhere last year but never got around to it. A physical tap (like a stop cock) type affair.

I'm off to south france and the old man (he lives down their sometimes) was saying that a lot of 4x4's were getting targeted down there for general crime & "exportation" by some non-locals.

odd question I know, but I'm away in the defender for 2-weeks and I'm parking on a road away from the house. Got the usual immob & mechanical locks etc, but I was just fiddling on with the defender tonight and had the steering wheel off then I thought.... if I'm leaving it on a road for a few days I'll take the steering wheel with me to the house...

what you reckon? Worth the hassle or just wasting my time? :lol:

ps. it takes about 60 seconds to remove on mine.

Jas

Mountney do some quick release wheels for just this purpose...

i'd do it, one more thing for the scumbags to get through.

Ultimately although this sounds callous what you are aiming for is to make nicking your truck that bit more difficult than someone elses so every little helps. All being equal the scum will always go for the easier option

Unplug the fuel solenoid switch or even clamp the fuel line after the lift pump with a cheap pair of brake hose clamps. It won't stop someone from getting into your truck, but they wouldn't be able to drive it off.

Doesn't have the visual deterent of a missing steering wheel, though.

Ultimately although this sounds callous what you are aiming for is to make nicking your truck that bit more difficult than someone elses so every little helps. All being equal the scum will always go for the easier option

The alternative take is to make sure your vehicle is so undesirable they won't give it a second glance even if you don't bother locking it :lol:

Guest diesel_jim
Scrapiron reckon it'll make your vehicle virtually impossible to steal!!

WOW!!

I reckon just putting some scrapiron stickers down the side of your truck would have the same effect!

Pikeys took two cars off my neighbour's drive with a Hi-ab, so I'd superglue it to the road as well

The above quote shows why it won't.

Well it will won't it????? :huh:

If some one is determined to get your vehicle they will pretty much what ever you do. but as said above if yours is harder to nick or less desirable then it is less likely to go.

Pete.

as allready said , removing the steering wheel will not completly stop them nicking it if they are determined , but it sure as hell will slow them down , either making them think twice , or giving some one chance to spot them ..

has any one used a removable steering wheel ? are they any good ?

Right then .....thats easy sorted.. :lol:

buy several scrapiron stickers and apply to 110. don't wash it...ensure it looks carp (kick the new door panels in to enhance effect). Remove the cylinder head and clamp the axle breathers. Find a good quality-non-pikey-road (in France....) with a better looking 110 than mine parked on it. Park next to nice looking 110 and adhere all four tyres of my (now wrecker of a defender) to said road. Apply pedal lock, immobiliser and remove steering wheel.

relax in the safe knowledge that my car will be there when I return. :D:P

has any one used a removable steering wheel ? are they any good ?

If your vehicle has a steering lock then put it on full lock facing the pavement, or a wall before removing the key. then ensure the lock comes on before removing the wheel. Every little helps.

A cheap alternative to render the vehicle undriveable is to fix a line lock into the clutch system, keep the little handle on your key ring, and fit the lock under an arch or behind rocksliders etc. As long as it is not spotted it is at least not going to be driven anywhere. The same would apply to the braking system, but not to be recommended for road vehices.