How do you do yours?

A couple of things that I thought you might want to share:

As I completed another long day in the 110 in a hot and sweaty France I wondered about ways to reduce the heat from the transmission in the cab. Because the 110 is a LHD I have the added misery of having the exhaust pipe right under the footwell which does not help matters. What do you do to help reduceheat from the floor and the transmission tunnel? Are the exhaust wraps any good?

Also, I took off my Brownchurch roof rack the other day to clean the roof properly and get rid of the accumulated grot in the gutters. I worked out an ingenious system of rollers using rainwater pipe to get it off by rolling it back along the roof but had to utilise the help of my son and his mate to get it back on. How do you do yours?

Ged

Also, I took off my Brownchurch roof rack the other day to clean the roof properly and get rid of the accumulated grot in the gutters. I worked out an ingenious system of rollers using rainwater pipe to get it off by rolling it back along the roof but had to utilise the help of my son and his mate to get it back on. How do you do yours?

Ged

Did mine on my own by parking Defender under a tree in the garden climbed up and stuck a snatch block on a tree strop warpped around branch. Fed a rope through snatch block and tied to rack and then jumped down and lifted rack off. Tied it up, drove Defender forward and then untied and lowered rack to the floor.

Cheers

Steve

On the 100", the exhaust is very close to the bulkhead (it's a Disco 200Tdi, Defender thing) so I have made up an aluminium heat shield - this worked well until until some less than genteel off roading left me shieldless. I aquired a small run of heat wrap as a temporary measure - that was about 6 months ago. It's very good.

I have wrapped my exhaust pipes, put Nimbus II 3mm aluminium heat sheild (available from Demon Tweeks) and also put an aluminized insulation barrier under the floor mats and the transmission tunnel.

I've also lagged the engine bay bulk head with a flexible heat reflective matting to stop the heat coming in through the bulkhead.

My mate has stripped out the enter inside of his new TD5 to install insulation and heat reflective matting. The difference is amazing compared to standard. He's driving it back from Dubai to France soon with the wife and kids....being comfortable on such a trip is a must.

For fitting the old steel roofrack.....I either use a fork lift, 4 of my Indian workers or once I rigged up a block and tackle to support it from the roof of the car port.

Since I bought the Aluminium Front Runner rack I can fit that single handed....it's just so light!

Regards.

S.

From the replies are so far, it seems that aluminium heat reflective material is the way to go so I will investigate this further. The main issue that I can see is the best way to fix it although probably pop rivets the most secure and I would not wish to have to rely on any form of self adhesive tape. I wonder though whether reflecting all the heat from the various engine components and transmission back into the engine bay and transmission tunnel has some long-term detrimental effect. After all I assume that when the vehicles were designed some allowance was made for the dissipation of heat from those parts and if reflecting heat back at them increases their temperature significantly could this cause problems with overcooking?

I'm very impressed with the ingenuity regarding the removal of the racks but it seems to me that getting one of a significantly lighter construction is the way to go. It's a shame because I really do like the Brownchurch rack for its strength and durability but it really is an unwieldy monster to take off and put back on.

Hi

I just drove back from Agde in the South of france to Newcastle in north UK. And yes it was hot wasn't it. I have a wright off road matting system and noticed very little leat at all inside the cab floors to be honest. as for the roof rack, I just lift it off with my wife....which usually involves a scratch of course :unsure:

Jas

Yes, I have heard of that matting system and which I believe to be very good. I seem to recall that it is quite pricey ( esp freighted to France) but I guess you get what you pay for as with everything else. I know Agde as my aunt lives close by but my work does not extend quite that far south for it to be a regular on my rounds!

Ged