Tuned 200tdi

Recently bought a Series 1 200tdi Disco as a donor vehicle-I am planning to convert my 90 to tdi. The Disco came with details of a 'Warick Banks' conversion. This claims to up the power output to approx 140bhp with a max torqure figure 225 lb/ft!! This is achieved by modifying the cylinder head, intercooler and uping the boost to a whooping 22psi. After some investigating it appears that this conversion has been done, a boost gauge confirms the increased boost and the intercooler is modified around the cowling.

Has anyone else any experience pf this conversion?!

Thanks Mike (Forum Newbie)

I used to have a Disco (silver H- plated 3 door) which had been tweaked by Warwick Banks. Also had the list of mods with it - as per the picture above.

As far as I can recall, the engine mods were limited to a gentle tweak of the fuel pump and turning up the boost a little - the turbo was standard. Mine also had the same mods to the rad cowling.

The car also had some mods to the suspension (anti roll bars, slightly shorter but higher rate springs etc). Pulled very very well, but was a bit of a rust bucket as the previous owners had used it for launching a boat. I had to fit a new boot floor and sort the inner wings to get it through it's mot... ;)

It drove ok - but nothing really special about it that couldn't be done by someone with a modicum of mechanical ability.

Matt

Can u remember the reg No.?? Sounds like it could be your old truck?! It's a Silver H reg 3 door with a replacement boot floor and inner wing repairs!!

Small World if it is!!haha

Mike

Mike,

Can't remember the reg at the mo, and too late to go rummaging for pics... (it was the wife's car about 4 years ago, so I never really got to use it!)

It was a bit tatty around the body, and had the tacky green/grey Discovery graphics on the sides. It also had a set of LR 5 spoke alloys which I don't think were standard fit.

If I can remember anything else I'll let you know, but it certainly sounds familiar!

Matt

Anyway, I would still be concerned about surge within the compressor. It will probably be OK at low altitude, but I'd worry if you travel at high altitude as the compression ratio increases. I'm not sure of what boost exactly would be worrysome. I suppose I could have a look over the compression map for these turbos.

Anybody got the exact turo specs handy??

I could be very wrong hear but i seem to remember reading that a tdi turbo becomes inefficient at 22psi and above at it starts to heat the air in a higher ratio to compressing it if that makes sense?

I could be very wrong hear but i seem to remember reading that a tdi turbo becomes inefficient at 22psi and above at it starts to heat the air in a higher ratio to compressing it if that makes sense?

The problem is that at a certain inefficiency level the surge line is reached. If surge is achieved, the airflow becomes unstable and can destroy the turbo. As you increase elevation, the pressure ratio increases and the mass flow decreases pushing you closer to the surge line. The stock wastegate is set to ensure that no matter what, surge is never reached. When you boost up a turbo, it is important to check the compressor map and ensure that surge can not be reached.

I have not checked this turbo's map, but I'm pretty sure 22 psi is past the safe point for high altitude use.

Warwick banks did some owrk on my old mans disco - handling wise and it was superb, good value for ££ as well. i thought all their engine mods used water cooled turobs for the phase 2 option only. phase 1 as Matt describes above, i have a brochure somewhere, will see what i can find after the weekend if anyone is interested.

No, I need a compressor map for the precise model used in the 200TDI.

Ahh, here... http://www.dieselevante.it/turbochargers.a...dcodice=ETC8751

LANDROVER 90/110 1992 2.5D - Gemini TB024 465171-0002 ETC8751

Tough to find a map. Garrett made way too many models of turbos.....

Not sure how close a TBO24 is to anything else.

funny thing is, an old service manual i have lists it as a T25 (and the 300 as a T250-04) that's why I trotted out that brochure but that's as far as it identifies it, no other numbers as thta link you found lists it.

I was doing the same thing last night looking for the precise model used on the 2.8L HS and finally found it. There are soooo many versions of the GT22V for so many manufacturers it was staggering.

funny thing is, an old service manual i have lists it as a T25 (and the 300 as a T250-04) that's why I trotted out that brochure but that's as far as it identifies it, no other numbers as thta link you found lists it.

I was doing the same thing last night looking for the precise model used on the 2.8L HS and finally found it. There are soooo many versions of the GT22V for so many manufacturers it was staggering.

Yep, you are right. The workshop manual says T25. Unfortunately, there are a variety of "trim" levels for the T25 housing, which affects the compressor map.

Some here: http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/maps/all.html#t25

I'll have a look when I have some time.

• 1 month later...

Having owned a number of tuned RS Turbo's previously I understand the world of modified turbo's becomes a rather complex. With all sorts of terminal velocity and trim calculations coming into play.

Amazingly my 200TDi Defender is the first of Dr Diesels inventions I have owned.

Anyway I digress, what is the fuel pump tweak I see refered to in various threads that can be performed without a turbo change/mod?

Guess it is fuel pressure? What does it do to the bhp and torque output? How is it performed?

TIA, Jon