Whats under my hood?

Here follows a photo of whats under my bonnet of my 1989 defender, is it a 200Tdi disco engine with some range rover air filter? or not?

Questions relating to this are, I need to replace that monstrosity of an air filter (no offence) but it sucks air from the engine bay, and I'm wishing to stick a snorkel on so I probably need someting a little more waterproof.......and .......

2. the oil breather pipe dangles down in the wind (ie under the engine), should this be attached to the air filter somehow?

Defenderengine.jpg

answers on a postcard please...

Looks like a 300TDi to me. Turbo position is first thing, then water pump and finally alternator.

I don't think the 300TDi disco and defender engines are any different.

Not sure what you need to fit to snorkel it, a 200TDi air filter might be a good start as a guess, but you should be able to use that one, unless it is a disco 300tdi filter, which may have sucked from the wing originally.

good luck at sodbury :)

oh and I think the oil breather pipe should be connected to air filter and the oil/air seperator on left of engine as you picture it - black thing below feul filter in picture.

hope that helps and I'm right :)

looks like a 200 tdi disco engine to me, all the bits are in the right places

the air filter housing looks like a v8 one, should have a trumpet on the inlet to it, easy to lob that off and stick a flexi house on it for a snorkel, dont forget to seal up the silly rubber side vent on the housing.

engine breather should enter the system after the air filter and before the turbo, easy to make up a bit of pipework with a spigot on to achieve this.

Thanks chaps, more votes for 200tdi then!

"the air filter housing looks like a v8 one, should have a trumpet on the inlet to it, easy to lob that off and stick a flexi house on it for a snorkel, dont forget to seal up the silly rubber side vent on the housing."

What on earth is a trumpet?? :blink: I was thinking of sourcing another air filter as that one can't connect to the pipework as the alternator is in the way, and it looks a bit Heath Robinson as it is! This way I will be able to relocate that oil breather too I feel.

I will go with the 200tdi disco as well... definately not a 300tdi, because of the belts on it. I suppose it could of come of a rangie but don't know.

the air filter is the wrong one, get a 200tdi one, which will have the correct fittings for all your oil pipe issues as well, plus make like easier to put a snorkel on. THe filter should fit underneath your air cooler pipes, instead of up on the wing

I have just fitted a snorkel to my 200Tdi 90, and the air filter looks to be in the same position. I simply replaced the pipe that is normally used to suck air from the near side wing, with a long piece of flexible tubing, then when it got to the fing, I turned it upwards towards where the bulkhead meets the top of the wing, and then out through the top of the wing. The air filter didn't seem to seal so well, so I put a large O'ring around the join, and it now seems to seal fine there. I will be looking to turn a rubber plug down to fit into the drain nozzle.

200Tdi for certain, green oil filler cap and green dipstick handle which is by manifold. 300Tdi dipstick is yellow and by thermostat housing - which is also different on a 300Tdi. V belt so its a 200, 300 is serpentine.

its a disco 200tdi

green parts as mentioned - cap and dipstick

no serpentine belt

turbo below inlet manifold = disco type

ref the snorkel i would go with the previous suggestion of just undoing the current hose if it has one on the air intake housing and adding the one that comes with the snorkel straight onto the air filter housing.

if there isin't a suitable male end at the housing intake end then you woudl try just purchasing the top of a filter housing with the male end to connect the hose to - would be cheaper than a whole hose.

you may want to think about putting in a long extension so the snorkel can go up the drivers side, that way when off roading if it has a ram top you can easily change the direction its facing, you can see it easily when negotiating between tight sections (trees etc)

ref the drain plug in the air filter housing i blocked mine off using some old inner tube stretched across the hole (bung removed) which i then cable tied in place. seal all the joint with silicone.

if you need to join pipes together a bit of 2.5" pipe (such as surplus off a snorkel tube) does the job well acting as the male.

ref the breather pipes you can just cable tie themupright with a U ben din the top of each to the bulkhead, or extend them and run them up the side of the snorkel (internal or external) external to the snorkel tube is easier. if you decide to stick them internal to the snorkel and are contemplating changing the air filter housng complete a flat box - AKA disco 300 or td5 would prob be easier.

doh, that's what I get for posting so late and tired.... Yep, the lack of serpentine belt is a big factor, I guess the water pump is one of the 200 disco and defender differences, I thought they were the same, hence why I thought 300.

The air bin is the V8 one, I had one in the garage until recently, knew I recognised it, bloody huge thing.

That is without question a Discovery 200Tdi engine... the turbo location, V-belt, front cover, thermostat housing, oil filler cap, oil level guage position and type and inlet manifold are dead giveaways. 1990-1994 vintage.

You need to fit a fan cowling as your fan is thrashing engine compartment air around and doing nothing for either you rad or intercooler.

Oh - and your air filter box is an upturned 2.5 N/A diesel one... been mounted on its side.

Sory forgot to add its missing the radiator cowling as well - i have one if your interested feel you need it. (i rmove dit when elettric fans were fitted)

That sounds good, I was going to put electric fans in at some point, but till then..... (Send me a PM with how much you want for it etc, postage)

I will be changing the Air Filter in the very near future too, sounds like a bit of a mix and match sysyem I have then, 1989 TD Defender with 200tdi disco engine. B)